Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:42:21 PM

Author Topic: Cincinnati Sabre 750 retrofit to Mach 3?  (Read 13958 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Cincinnati Sabre 750 retrofit to Mach 3?
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 04:42:21 AM »
Things have moved quite fast in the last few years with Mach and external controllers and there are now quite a few controllers that can control analogue command servo drives so you may wish to look at them.
I have used one of them on my Chiron retrofit and it is the best controller I have used to date, its the CSMIO/IP-A from CS-Lab.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS9mh_iMing
Hood
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 05:31:23 PM »
thanks for reply Hood,

I have looked at even changing the encoders on the red cap Fanucs that come standard on the cin sabre 750 but that is getting to be a bit too much really.  

My issue is that the controller is on its way out (works when it wants to) and replacing it would be in my opinion a mistake as I have had enough of standing at that Q!"$ยงยง$ console typing in gcode.  I would like to be able to use mach3 (by the time I am ready Mach4 should be out!!!) to run the machine due to its wide support and versatility.  What I do want to avoid though is loosing accuracy and speed.  From what I have seen with other machines is that they are quite slow until I watch your link.  That is really the first machine that I have seen of that size powered by mach3.  
I have a post of the build on cnczone, would be great if I could pick your brain along the way!!  

Sourkraut  

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 06:40:29 PM »
You shouldnt lose accuracy or speed if you use the original motors/drives (if possible) or use modern equivalents.
All my machines I have kept to about the rapids that they were originally, well except the big lathe, it was originally 5m/min I think and I run it at 10m/min. The Beaver Mill was originally 8m/min and Chiron 20m/min and I have kept them both at these speeds.

Years ago things were limited to the max pulsrate of the parallel port but the SmoothStepper etc changed that as far as Step/Dir was concerned and recently there have been other controllers that can drive analogue command amplifiers/drives and that is what I am using on the Chiron. I will likely switch the Computurn lathe over to that method as well in the future.
Hood