Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:31:50 PM

Author Topic: tool changes  (Read 2523 times)

tool changes
« on: March 16, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »
Hi guys, new here.  Using Mach3 and CamBam.

I have a question about tool changes.  When I run CamBam with different tools it gives an M5 command between the sections but Mach3 goes right past it.  Should that command stop the running of code until I hit continue?  If not how do you do tool changes between your sections? 

I like to start at a known reference point, say a part that won't be milled or will be milled last.  Bring the tool down so it just touches that point and manually put that height into the Z height (usually 0).  Then start Mach3, first command raises the cutter, start the spindle, do the cut, return to .1 above the reference point.  Here I'd like to stop running the code while I change the tool and reset my Z height.

M5 isn't doing anything.  Mach 3 just returns to my reference point then takes off to do the next cut without a tool change.  My 'fix' for this has been to return to the reference point then tell it to lift the Z 2 inches.  While it is doing this I hit the space to pause it, change the tool, reset Z then scroll to the next section of code and tell it to 'run from here'.

Clearly I'm missing something basic.....

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: tool changes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:56:42 AM »
M is spindle stop, it has nothing to do with a tool change, well obviously the spindle needs to stop for a toolchange but.... ;D
What you need for a toolchange is M6 and T* where * is the tool number.
If your code has that then look at General Config page and for ToolChange choose the stop spindle and wait for start option

Hood