Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 04:45:34 PM

Author Topic: 7" Touch screen?  (Read 4146 times)

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
7" Touch screen?
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:57:14 AM »
Hi all,

I have a question I'm throwing out there about possibly setting up a 7" touchscreen as sort of a pendant. The reason for this is now I have 3 different machines but I have my keyboard and monitor in a permanent cabinet at one side of my (very small) shop.

The issue is that my very (small) shop has a 90 degree wall in relation to where my monitor setup is, so I can't see anything from the latest machine I built. So I'm thinking, why not have every Mach screen right at my fingertips by attaching a video right on my pendant so I can take advantage of everything in a portable device?

This is the unit I'd think would perfectly. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170477770415&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Does anyone have any warnings or thoughts about doing this? I realize there's a good chance that I'd have to make a custom screen set but that just adds to the "fun"  ;D

Thanks so much, as always-
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: 7" Touch screen?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:51:54 PM »
Hey Bud,
Why not just put the computer, screen, etc on a small cart and move her around?
Makes room for another machine..... ;D
Rich

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 12:56:50 PM »
I actually was entertaining that idea Rich, like the pic below, but thought this would be a lot nicer and "handier", no?

Thanks,
Dave

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 02:09:20 PM »
Yep, I like it and the umbilical cord should be available for all the machines.

Attached is my movable cart.
It was an cart for a HP oscilloscope that i got for $5 and then just modified it  some so
all the components could be put on it. If i had to do it all over maybe i would tweak the dim's
some ( add a little clearance between the shelves ).

The main point of it was to save cost. So one setup is good for all the machines. MPG and manual kill switch
is on extended cord, has a resistor switch box so i can easily change the amp setting for the drivers ( 1.5 / 3 / 6 amp),
also can just remove the screen & keyboard and easily use a laptop.
Shoot i can't run one machine let alone all of them...... ;)

Now if you really want to be cool about the enclosure, make it robotic so you can move  the cart by remote.
Call her R 2 BUD 2 and save the $130 for more Bud..... ;D

RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 02:27:33 PM »
Excellent, Rich, love the cart, but mine would have to be enclosed as I do a lot of buffing and polishing and the fine dust can get everywhere (I cover the machines when not in use as well.)

As for switching, I'm using a parallel port switch and I just run different Profiles of Mach 3 for the different machines and applications.

As for you not being able to run one machine, HAH! I've seen what you can do, my friend-  ;)

Thanks so much for the input, I may just end up doing this way, just getting all the options in one basket to mull over.

Dave

Dave->    ;)