Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:09:19 AM

Author Topic: HELP - Data Signals on Wrong Pins on LPT  (Read 5552 times)

HELP - Data Signals on Wrong Pins on LPT
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:59:02 PM »
Hi All:

I'm an old engineer but new to CNC and am trying to build a plasma table.

I am using the demo version of Mach3 right now and trying to learn my way around this software. I have it set up for a 3 axis machine with a slaved A axis (to X).
I wasn't getting any indication that the A was moving but learned that the software doesn't  give any indication on the diagnostic DRO.

So I tried jogging each axis. Here is where the problem popped up. No matter what values I put in ports & pins for the motor output, the outputs on the LPT always remain the same. The X axis is on 6 & 7, the Y on 4 & 5, the Z on 8 & 9, and the A on 2 & 3.

I've tried all 4 settings in the BIOS and nothing changes.

Anybody got a solution ??

Thanks,

Willy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: HELP - Data Signals on Wrong Pins on LPT
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
Can you attach your xml please, you will likely  have to copy it to the desktop and rename before you can attach. If using the standard Mill profile you will find it in the Mach3 folder, it will be called Mach3Mill.xml. If you have made a custom profile then it will have the name you chose for the profile.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:33:10 PM »
OK.

It's attached.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Willy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:36:52 PM »
You have MaxCL mode enabled, take the tick out of that box and things should be fine.
Its on Ports and Pins main page.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 06:41:05 PM »
Also notice you are in Step mode, you probably want to be in Continuous jog mode when trying things out, press the Tab key to get the flyout so you can change it.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 07:06:58 PM »
OK.

I tried that and now nothing works.

The DRO moves but it looks like all of the pins on the LPT are low, approx 200 mv. I was getting around 3.5V before.

I loaded the standard Plasma XML and the signals came back to normal but the pin assignments are still incorrect.

Anything else to try ?

Willy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 07:17:05 PM »
If you check on the Step pins and have active high chosen you will only see mV, this is because it is a pulse so your meter will not be able to refresh quick enough, using a scope you would see it fine. If you change to active low you should see your 3.5v when stationary but dropping slightly when jogging.
 If you check on the Dir pins then you should see 3.5v when you jog one way and 0v the other.
Your problem however may be that your port seems to be the modern type low voltage output and possibly your drives may require more? What kind of drives and do you have a breakout board?

If you use MaxCL mode you will not get the setup right if you have normal Step/Dir drives, MaxCL mode is meant for interfacing to MaxCL machines and outputs signals to specific pins and if I recall correctly the signals are CW/CCW rather than Step/Dir.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 07:32:56 PM »
I don't have the drives hooked up at this time. I don't risk the equipment until I know the software is correct.

I don't know enough about Mach yet. I will be using the Gecko G540. I tried their xml and it doesn't run., probably due to the estop input.

However, I tried all of the pinouts on KCAM4 and everything runs normally. I get the correct signals on the correct pins.

This leads me to believe that I have something set incorrectly.

I changed the state to active low and the voltage came back to 3.5V. But the voltage doesn't change when i jog the axis. Right now it looks like no signal is getting through. If I put MaxCL on, the voltage goes high and drops to 1.7V when the axis is jogged (still the incorrect pins).

Very frustrating!

Willy

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »
Forget MaxCL mode, it is no use for you, it puts out the signals to specific pins and you cant change which pins, it is preset when in that mode.
Have you checked the Dir pins voltage when you jog one way then the other? You will see very little change in the step pins voltage with a voltmeter.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 07:43:27 PM »
Also go to General Config page and enable Enhanced Pulsing, that should normally be chosen.
Hood