Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:50:47 AM

Author Topic: Cutting errors  (Read 6320 times)

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
Re: Cutting errors
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 05:04:09 AM »
I think I have found at least part of the problem I cut with the wizard a 3" dia meter hole it was about .005 undersize.  then I looked at my x and z axis found I could move them slightly with my hand so I think when the router pulled on the bit it lagged behind the motor then when it pushed it still lagged behind the motor creating some of this undercutting.  I am trying no wot get them adjusted so they are snug but not tight.  These bearings are a bear to adjust.  it's a bolt through an eccentric and a hex nut so you have to sort of coordinate the tightening of them so you can achieve a good fit.  The wizard helped a lot took any variable of software etc out of the equation//

How can you check backlash on the machine?  I have never doe this before.

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 05:58:10 AM »
Is the play you found along the axes? If so it's backlash. One way to measure backlash is to put a dial indicator aligned with the axis being tested, move the axis towards the dial indicator till it engages and read the value it shows, then program a move (say 1mm long) in the same direction, then program the same move in the opposite direction and read the value. The difference between the two readings is your backlash. Repeat this at several spots along the screw and see how it differs.

Daniel

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 06:06:49 AM »
I can do that.  The movement I saw was grab the router standing in front of the machine and I could move it along the y axis in and out about 1/32 then from side to side along the X axis same thing. I have tightened the bearings a bit removing that slop now I can check for backlash knowing what I am looking for.