Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:04:30 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Problems  (Read 6536 times)

Newbie Problems
« on: February 26, 2010, 12:46:13 AM »
Hi All,

I've got the usual problems getting Mach 3 up and working on my DIY router table. When I use the Mach 3 Mill icon the stepper motors don't work when I jog them. The jog setting is at 50%.  They just screech and stay still. If I use the Mach 3 loader and create a blank profile, the steppers move, make very strange noises when idle and move slowly. I've been plowing through this forum but have been unable to find a problem quite like this. Here is my equipment listing:

1) 3 axis system with all three steppers identical Vexta PK266-02A
        These are 2 amps, 1.8 steps
2) Toshiba controller TB6560 - setting the 6 wire motors to bipolar.
3) 24 volt power supply
4) Mach 3 ...of course!!!

I followed the setup instructions for both the control board and Mach 3, but I haven't  heard such whining and screeching since I told my daughter she couldn't date until she turned 16!! I need help on the stepper motors. The Daughter is now 25... too late to help her. Oh yeah I did the setup instructions the same for both profiles.

I hope someone can help, my forehead is getting pretty flat from banging my head on the router table!!

Thanx,

Richard in Sacramento

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 02:17:22 AM »
Sounds like you are needing to set the steps per unit, Velocity and Acceleration correctly for the motors.
What stepping or microstepping are your drives set to.
What is the pitch or TPI of your ballscrews?
Do you have any gearing between motors and ballscrews?
Are you setting up in Metric or Imperial units?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:39:49 PM »
Hood,

Thank You.  I check those things reset them, but tp no avai. I kept digging and found a faulty power supply. It gave me power sometimes and sometimes not. Now it's good. I was able to continue and finish the build. It works good now....well almost. The Z axis only goes in one direction and it's wired the same as the others. I switched Z and Y and still have the same problem on the Z. So I'll go check out the other listings here on the forum before I drive you crazy with questions. I notice that you must live on the computer answering all these questions. Do you have a machine of your own that you ever get a chance to run? or a family?

Take Care,

RB in Sacramento, CA

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 03:47:32 AM »
I have 4 machines under Mach control and two manual lathes that I use daily :)
Hood
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 06:10:31 PM »
No wonder you're so good at Mach.  Thanks for the help!! It's working good now. I was able to work through the issues and am now happily cutting away, making lots of dust. Thanks again.

RB
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:19:10 PM »
No wonder you're so good at Mach.  Thanks for the help!! It's working good now. I was able to work through the issues and am now happily cutting away, making lots of dust. Thanks again.

RB

If you ask him nicely he will tell you how much power his lathe spindle has. ;D

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 07:01:45 PM »
 Phil
I know your getting on a bit, so just in case you have forgotten , its 16.76278 HP  ;D

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 10:12:03 PM »
 ??? Phil put me up to this  ;D
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:48:44 AM »
Phil
I know your getting on a bit, so just in case you have forgotten , its 16.76278 HP  ;D

Hood

Hood,

It's true i am getting on a bit, and no matter how many times i read that your lathe has 16.76278HP i just cannot remember. ;D

Rich, nice picture maybe if Hood copies the picture and posts that instead of a figure i will remember. ;D

Phil
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 03:52:13 AM by Phil_H »
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 04:07:07 AM »
Rich,
  bit poncy looking horses you have there, think they would be more suited to dressage than work. Maybe thats where the Chinese get their HP figures from  ;D

Phil
that has just proved that you are getting a bit forgetful as its the first time I have posted in HP ;D Thought I would do it in old fashioned units as you are more likely to remember :)

Hood