Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:18:08 PM

Author Topic: First time Mach user please help!!  (Read 2734 times)

First time Mach user please help!!
« on: February 20, 2010, 03:00:55 PM »
I have just installed mach on to my sytem and am hoping to connect to the schools cnc. I have a file in adobe illustrator which i would like to cut out. I am looking to export as a dxf and then open in mach 3 to create the gcode. The problems i have is

Once i connect to the schools cnc would i need a driver for the cnc or would it work by mach 3 picking up the cnc.
would i need to configure?? as it does look pretty technical or would i just be able to cut the shapes which i need to cut??
what kind of things do i need to look our for?? I am a newbie and have never used a cnc before.

Please help!!  :)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: First time Mach user please help!!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »
The Schools CNC needs to connect to the PC via the parallel port, and it need to operate from step and direction signals. You'll also need to know what the individual pins on the parallel port are controlling, in order to configure Mach3.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
Re: First time Mach user please help!!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 01:15:25 AM »
    Is there any one at the School who is familiar with electronics? and also someone computer savy? you need a good interface card, which comes with a schematic, and an understanding of motors and wiring, and a basic understanding of programming. there are places that sell kits on line with a tutorial, look on ebay, you need to know what type of motor you are driving so you can buy the correct driver, unless you have one, then you just need an interface board which hooks up to the computer via parallel port. if you need a motor driver get one that just needs logic inputs( some stepper board need a separate drive circuit with an extra power supply and resistors that need to be matched correctly), with dip switch settings to match to your motors amperage (assuming stepper not servo?) . when you set everything up you should start with the motors and work backwards towards the computer. mach will work that is a given. I guess just take one step at a time, you cant just expect to turn the computer on and say RUN........