Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:17:32 PM

Author Topic: How industrial is Mach  (Read 3105 times)

How industrial is Mach
« on: September 29, 2006, 07:32:24 PM »
I find this software great, without it I can’t see how I could make this thing. I have no any engineering background, and before coming across Mach, I would not even dream about making my own parts – any CNCing was seen as distant unreachable and complicated science. Now I still not a “pro”, but can make parts using mach and desktop mill and lathe.
Having parts designed on a laptop in a Kitchen and then shortly after made in a shed – is thrilling.

Now I have very itchy hands to retrofit bigger machine like old Bridgeport or similar.
The question is how industrial is Mach? My understanding is that it is in complete mercy of Window and noticed that once or twice a week it would through some flukes.
Would you gays run reasonable scale production using Mach as a cnc control of Bridgeport etc. retrofit?

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
Re: How industrial is Mach
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2006, 10:10:32 PM »
Once you get your mach computer dialed in it is pretty solid. There are the occasional hiccups but all in all things work very well.

As for 'industrial' lots of people, myself included are using mach on Bridgeport style machines. Most of the bad mess ups are user errors (my fault). I have also built a gantry router that i guess you could call industrial with mach running it. 
You can see them here, there are also lots of other great machines in the show and tell section.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=627.0

Chad