Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:35:46 AM

Author Topic: No joined arch and line in the same chain  (Read 4021 times)

No joined arch and line in the same chain
« on: February 20, 2010, 09:39:18 AM »
 LC is not including arch and line in the same chain.  Chains with joined entities are only possible with either all lines or all arches.
What am I doing wrong? Am I overlooking something in the manual?

Thanks.

Re: No joined arch and line in the same chain
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 10:12:09 AM »
Not exactly sure what you are referring to, but you might check the connection tolerance in LCam.
Maybe increase it to 0.0100 just to see if it helps.
You might post the dxf too....
Russ

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 10:59:49 AM »
Chains can be moved to different layers. You can't move an entity to a different layer or change the order of the entity.
Tolerance is covered in section 6.2.3 and also 8.2. As far as not having to move chains or setting up a job for LC, consider / see section 5.4. Joining entities and chains are covered in Tutorial#6 section 2.0.

RICH
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »
For example, a square box with rounded corners will come up with 8 chains.
for checking the tolerance issue, I made the same box with sqare corners and it will come up with one chain containing 4 entities. The same with a closed figure with arches. it will come up with one chain containing all elements as entities. As soon as there is the other involved the chain is braking it out as another chain.

Does that help?

unicorn.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 01:08:49 PM »
Try my drawing. I don't know what your doing drawing wise, but, mine was created as a 2d drawing in Autocad and exported out as a ver 12 dxf.
RICH
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 01:12:19 PM by RICH »
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 02:15:04 PM »
I think I found the culprit.
It is not LC! I made new test drwg in ACAD14 and Rhino, and all worked properly. The drawings I had the problems with, I did in Rhino 3D. 
I will do another test later in the day or tomorrow replicating the failure.

Until then, thanks a lot for helping me tracing this one down.

unicorn.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »
OK, so that's  why i couldn't delete a few layers in your drawing as they contained 3d stuff in the layers when the dxf was created. I guess.....

That dxf and the way LC imported it would create all kinds of problems when you wanted to do say an offset as the offset created would end up being multiple offsets. So, now you know what is meant by "not all dxf files are created equally" and a few other words in the manual.  ;)

Glad you figured it out,
RICH
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »
Here is the final verdict.
What LC did not like in my case, was the fact that the elements were not on "0" on the Z axis. When i moved everything to Z 0 , created a new dxf file, and loaded into LC, all came out right.

As you said, Rich, no 3d!!!

Really good forum! Thanks for running it.

unicorn