Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:54:26 AM

Author Topic: number of axis support?  (Read 2466 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
number of axis support?
« on: January 21, 2010, 01:09:56 AM »
Hello, I have finished building my cnc machine and am looking for CAM software for it.  I'd like to get your input.  My machine has 3 linear axis, X, Y, Z and 2 angular axis, B and C.  I've also wired my control box for a 6th angular axis to mount on the table, but that's probably a year away.

I typically model in Rhino, and I see there are a couple of CAM packages available as plugins, but it's not mandatory to be within Rhino.

I see some software packages that say 3+1 axis milling.  Does this mean 3 axis X, Y, and Z, and the +1 would be a rotary axis on the table?  So my machine, I'm guessing is true 5 axis, but then if I add that 6th, it's would be 5+1?

Is that correct?  If not, let me know, wondering about stuff like this.

Barry

Offline piv

•  91 91
    • View Profile
Re: number of axis support?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 07:36:49 AM »
3 + 1 usually means as you say xyz plus a rotary table.
3+2 usually means setting a and b (or b anc c) at a fixed orientation and then machining with xyz while a and b (or B  and C) remain stationary, aka positional five axis.
Not manay packages handle 6 axes naturally, so yes you would typically mount the job on the sixth axis and use that to index it and then hold it fixed while the other five axes do the machining.