Hello Guest it is April 27, 2024, 01:04:15 AM

Author Topic: File Corrupt error  (Read 9424 times)

Re: File Corrupt error
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
hum uh, but ....

That implies that MS at first thinks it is corrupted (Or it would not have displayed the message), but then knows how to fix the problem -  and you message indicates it does so when the file is saved.

I rather dislike a program telling me it has corrupted data and then ignoring that warning and going on anyhow.... on the assuption that all will be fine later.......  the end result is that the program teachs the user to ignore warning messages...

It would be much, much better if MS would realize the problem is not one to worry the user about, correct it, and never scare the user (me with a file corrupted message).

Dave

Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 07:01:37 AM »
Hi Dave,

I agree, showing this message as an "error" is missleading, better would be calling it "warning". This warning tells the user, that there is data in the set file which couldn't be displayed. This gives the user the opportunity to check if all data / elements are shown. After this check the user can truncate the file, by using the save command. We can now discuss if its usefull, to ask for "continue yes / no", or just acknowledge this warning with "OK" and don't save the data.
Using Screen4 doesn't do anything different, the only exception is, Screen4 doesn't tell, that there is data in the set file which isn't shown. When saving data, the file size is just truncated.

Klaus
The brain isn't a soap, it doesn't shrink when used.
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 11:39:23 AM »
hum, I believe that my preference is to not see the message.
In the case of the screen set I've bee working on, I don't know any way to tell "if all the data is displayed" - there are 17 screen pages and multiple 100s of objects on the screens. and then there is all the VB code..... how would I know what to think after seeing the message?

Dave
Author of the MachStdMill Extensions for Mach3
www.CalypsoVentures.com
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 12:32:19 PM »
Hi Dave,

I admit, you cannot check the complete set file, but since the data is saved in the order it was added(except you did swap layers), you need only check the last entries. Anyway, in the next version everyone can decide himself, wether or not to see the warning, by setting the checkbox in the settings dialog.

Klaus
The brain isn't a soap, it doesn't shrink when used.