Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:30:09 AM

Author Topic: interfacing to a lathe  (Read 5647 times)

interfacing to a lathe
« on: February 05, 2010, 10:30:16 PM »
Is there any way (hardware and software) to interface the MACH3 software to a Lathe operated by a Siemens sinumerik 802s controller?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: interfacing to a lathe
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 04:30:10 AM »
Your drives (Amplifiers) are likely to be analogue input so you would need something like the DSPMC or Kflop with the Kanalog addon.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 05:11:59 PM »
Anyone want to buy a PM1330 CNC lathe worth over $15,000 that has never had a tool installed nor has it done anything other than have the X&Z referenced. It would include a 10hp rotary phase converter (220 single phase to 220 3-phase) to power the unit.

I would take $10,000 for it (pickup only... though I would help you get it on my dollies and get it rolled out of the shop, but you would need to get it loaded on your trailer or whatever on your own with your own equipment as I do not have anything to lift it more that about 3").

You can see the lathe and spec's at CNC Lathe with Siemens 802C Control $14995.00 (Servo Motors with Encoder Feedback, Spindle Encoder, 6 position automatic tool turret)

I can't get my head wrapped around this unit and it's "Conversational" programming. So I am going to sell it off, pickup a new 12x36 and install a CNC conversion package on it that will let me run Mach3.

If interested you can PM me or email me at jestism@prexis.com

Lathe is located in Northeastern Arizona (about 20 miles east of Snowflake, AZ) which is about 30 miles south of "holbrook, AZ which is on I-40)

Note: There is "one" ding in the cover over the 6-tool holder Turret stepper motor where I forgot to reference the X axis before doing the Z axis and rammed the cover into the tail stock.

I will also be putting this on ebay with $10K as the starting price, so if a member contacts me before anyone bids, you get it at the lowest price.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 09:05:27 PM »
Wouldn't it be cheaper to retrofit what you have there if it satisfies your needs?
RICH
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:19:30 PM »
Right now it doesn't satisfy my needs, as I can't get it (my lack of knowledge) get it to do anything other than machine reference and the manuals are so vague, it is almost like they left out every other sentence.... This machine has never had a tool installed nor had a tool offset set.

It is a greatly looking machine and if I could get an interface that would "translate" lets say the output from a Mach3 to what the Sinumerik requires, that would be the perfect solution. However, the only thing I found so far just replaces the Sinumerik conversational controller with a "Different Brand" conversational controller

I don't have a complete wiring diagram of the machine (trust me... just running new wires to a breakout board and connecting it to a laptop or desktop computer has crossed my mind several times. However, once I was to commit to that, then I will have lost my ability to "sell" it. (as I am sure there are people out there that have a clear understanding of this "conversational" programming language.. and I am offering a new machine at over 30% off.

I can then buy a 12x36 lathe and a CNC conversion kit to mount on it for under $8K.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 02:31:07 AM »
That is such a nice lathe with the tool changer that I would think long and hard about selling it off and going with a lathe and conversion.
You are going to loose about 5k just by selling it and then you will have an inferior lathe without tool changer and enclosure. If I was closer I would would be willing to stop by and help you get it sorted out. There is most likely a lot of the existing controller that could be used in a Mach3 conversion.

The other thing would be to get a post processor for a good cam program the outputs what the machine needs.

Best of luck which ever way you decide to go.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.