Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:41:15 PM

Author Topic: Set up and configuration???  (Read 3133 times)

Set up and configuration???
« on: February 04, 2010, 09:09:59 AM »
Hi, im new to the mach 3 forum and have just installed mach 3 for my cnc step high z s720. previously i was using Win PCNC but decided to change to Mach 3 as i really liked the 3D display and the easy of control and use. i had some problems setting it up but eventually got it moving, i got some help from a previous topic, so many thanks for the pdf on the correct setup.

im still left with some problems though...
i decided to run some codes that i had previously used with PCNC using the same vice and exact location that i would have used before, but i noticed my starting origin was different to my previous origin (i had a hole drilled in the exact co-ordinates of 200,210) and when i moved the tool to that location with Mach 3, the tool was off, it seems near enough in the x axis but my y axis seems off by nearly a mm id say, i no this doesnt seem a lot in the grand scale of things, but the work i do is very precise and needs to be spot on every time.

what seems to be the problem and is there any way to fix it? please say i dont have to go back to using PCNC for this work?

Marian

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Set up and configuration???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 10:14:47 AM »
Is your position in work offset or machine coordinates? If in Machine coordinates how do you set your home zero position?

Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 11:20:37 AM »
The co-ordinates i need are machine coordinates. my vice is in the exact same position as when i used PCNC but the tool ends up in a different place than it should...
when i started up Mach 3, i clicked "Ref All Home" and that brought me to my home park position of  0,0,0 i wasnt able to compare this to my previous park position as i didnt have it marked on my vice, it was only when i went to move to above my starting point i noticed the difference.
i cant think of anything that it could be, except a software difference? or how its calibrated?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
The way Mach does the homing may well be different from your last programme and that is the reason your are off. What Mach does is it moves onto the switch then reverses and once the switch again closes it will stop and set that as the home position. Other things that can affect the distances are homing speed and also motor tuning so even if your last programme homed in the same manner you may have a faster/slower homing speed in Mach or Faster/Slower Velocity or acceleration in Motor tuning.
 If you cant move the position of the offset to suit where Mach homes to then you could measure how far off it is relative to home and use that value as a Home Off value. What would then happen is Mach would set the value you have put in Home Off as the distance you are away form machine zero. So for example if you measure Mach is short on the X axis by 2.25mm you would put a home off value of -2.25 for the X. You would then be on position when you commanded the X to go to your 200 position.

Hood