Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:00:59 PM

Author Topic: 2nd parallel port card issues  (Read 10614 times)

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
2nd parallel port card issues
« on: January 30, 2010, 05:11:01 PM »
Hello, I just bought a parallel port card, and although it's seen in the device manager, I can't seem to get Mach to use it.  The address/range is CC00-CC07, and C800-C807.  if I try to input either cc00, or c800, Mach doesn't recognize anything.  I am on Win XP, there are no conflicts.  The card is set to LPT2, the motherboards parallel port is set to LPT1, both work fine.  I saw on the list, that I can try the opposite, using the motherboards parallel port as LPT2, and the PCI card as LPT1, but this didn't do anything either.

The cabling are straight through cables, and they plug into a C23 board from CNC4PC.  I used to be using a smooth stepper, and was reading both ports through it.  I decided to go straight parallel port, but so far no luck.

Anyone have suggestions?  I was hoping to be cutting all weekend;)

Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd parallel port card issues
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 05:40:20 PM »
Some PCI cards are not real parallel ports from what I understand, could be the case with yours, got a link to what you have?
Hood

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:04:16 PM »
yeah, here's the card:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0246235

This is supposed to be a 'real' parallel port.  At first the sales guy sold me a card that converted usb to parallel.  That's what the smoothstepper was.  I wanted to get away from that;)

Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:17:57 PM »
Yes, looks like it should work as it says it runs under DOS I would imagine its a real rather than emulated.
Are there any options to change mode of the card and do you know what its presently running, ECP, EPP etc?

Hood

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 06:30:05 PM »
Just out of curiosity, why did you lose the Smoothstepper?

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 06:33:16 PM »
Hmm, checked, I couldn't find anything labled mode.  It says under details, I choose device ID, and it shows pci9710_ecp, so I guess, ecp.  I don't see how to change this.  On the package it says it supports SPP, PS2, EPP, and ECP.  Again, it doesn't say how to change it.

I'm deciding against the smoothstepper, since occasionally Mach would lose communication with it, and that would mean I'd have to quit Mach, restart it, home everything, go back to the fixture state and start again.

Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 06:36:45 PM »
Its been a long time since I used the parallel port but I do seem to remember ECP was an issue for me, can't remember what exactly I am afraid. And how to change, again I have no idea, maybe an email to the makers?
Sorry not much help :(
Hood

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 06:59:56 PM »
I tried the card on the other pci slot, it gives me the same address.  I looked into the FAQ online, and in win XP and later you cannot reassign the IRQ, and port mode is also done automatically.  It's evidently a feature of XP keeping tighter control so there are no conflicts.  Of course there is no worky either.  If anybody has a suggestion, I'm all ears.

Barry

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 07:05:19 PM »
Not really sure if this could be something to try, but in device manager on the resources tab for the port can you un tick the auto box and try one of the other settings in the drop down box?
Hood

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 07:13:13 PM »
I see that option is available for the parallel port that's on the motherboard.  For the port that's on the card, that section is greyed out.  I can only see the port address in that window.