Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:47:57 PM

Author Topic: Need help with basic VFD spindle setup - 0 to 10 VDC, Forward & Reverse  (Read 7762 times)

I've got my Shizuoka mill moving on all three axis well, but I need help getting the VFD driven spindle working in Mach3.

I'm using a 1750 ISA card with ICM2900 terminal board.  In the plug-in, I have the spindle set up to use axis W as a servo motor (I do not have an encoder on the spindle).

I wired the VFD 0 to 10 VDC input to the W servo motor output and return on the ICM 2900. 

I am confused on how to wire the VFD Forward and Reverse inputs and what the settings should be in Mach3 for a basic VFD set-up. 

Any help is appreciated.

Jim
Re: Need help with basic VFD spindle setup - 0 to 10 VDC, Forward & Reverse
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 03:59:21 PM »
Well, I figured out how to get the M3 and M4 commands to work thru outputs 5 & 6, but I still can't figure out a way to get a 0 to 10 VDC output (on axis W driving the spindle) signal to the VFD and have it equate to 330 - 5380 RPM.  I have changed all the pulley ratios (1 to 15) in Mach3 so that they are the same.

I wish I had an encoder on the spindle as that probably would work quite easily with the plug-in.

Anybody out there with suggestions?

Jim
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 04:27:33 PM »
If you get the 0 to 10V output to work out from your terminal board then you have to configure the VFD to run 330rpm at 0V and 5380rpm at 10V. All VFD's I have been working on have a lot of parameters making all such sort of setups possible.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 04:29:58 PM by SteinarN »
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 04:55:01 PM »
I have the parameters in the VFD setup correctly.  I've verified it by using a manual potentiometer connected to the VFD. 

My question is how to set up the plug-in and Mach3 so that say a M3 S5380 command sends a 10 VDC signal out.

I have the plug-in set to use axis W(D) for the spindle and it is set as a servo.  I do not have an encoder, so I have left that box un-checked.  Should I put any values in the encoder specs?

In Mach3, how do I set up the spindle?  Do I enable the spindle and select the step/dir or PWM boxes?  I've set all the pulley ratio tables to the same values of 330 min and 5380 max. 

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »
jj83002,

I had the same problem just today.
I'm more of a Galil guy then a Mach3 guy (first time user)
So.....

I wrote a little galil program which is always running.
It checks for a change in the OF command and then
manipulates the Mach3 value to get the desired value
and then resets the OF command with the new value.

I set various Mach3 speeds and measured the results with a tach.
In my case it was very linear so I just used y=mx+b. Any formula
could be used.

#AUTO                                             ***Auto label, runs automatically at power on
SHF                *** My spindle is the F axis      
CURRENT=_OFF                                 *** Set a variable equal to the current offset at power on
#LOOP                                             *** Loop Label
IF (CURRENT=_OFF)                           ***Is the variable equal to the current offset?
JP#LOOP                                          ***If yes, check again
ELSE                                                *** If no....
IF (_OFF=0)                                      *** If the current offset is zero just set the variable
CURRENT=0                                      *** to zero
JP#LOOP                                          *** Check again
ENDIF
TEMP=(((_OFF*100)+133.333)/15.933)/100    *** Calculate desired offset in variable TEMP
OFF=TEMP                                                   *** Set the F axis Offset to TEMP
CURRENT=_OFF                                            *** Set the Variable CURRENT to the new Offset
ENDIF
JP#LOOP                                                     *** Do it again
EN