Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:58:49 PM

Author Topic: Spindle configuration setup  (Read 4209 times)

Spindle configuration setup
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:37:16 AM »
I need some help figuring out the proper pin and port settings for the VFD that controls the spindle on my mill. 

the mill is a Hurco SM1 I am using the factory servos, Viper 200 amps, Smoothstepper, CNC4PC C23 BOB, Durapulse GS3 VFD. C15 relay board.

I have wired the VFD using this diagram from CNC4PC...  http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C23R2toVFD2.pdf

The CNC4PC site shows an example of the ports and pins setup that shows pin 14 as the step pin which matches the wiring diagram for the spindle speed output on the C23(analog) to the VFD.  The direction pin is where I need some help.  The example CNC4PC indicates pin 8 for direction while the direction (CW & CCW) is handled on the wiring diagram by pin 1 and pin 16 which are the 2 built in relays on the C23.  I only have 1 direction pin in the Mach setup screen, but have 2 different pins that appear to me to control direction (CW & CCW) going to the VFD.  What is the correct pin number needed in the Mach setup screen?

Also since I am controlling speed with the VFD how do I setup the spindle pulleys part of the Mach spindle setup screen?

Thanks

Tom 
1986 Hurco SM1 Stock ElectroCraft Servos and encoders, Larkin Viper 200 drives, Smoothstepper, CNC4PC C23 BOB, Dura Pulse GS3 VFD, Mach 3
Re: Spindle configuration setup
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 04:27:59 AM »
I need some help figuring out the proper pin and port settings for the VFD that controls the spindle on my mill. 

the mill is a Hurco SM1 I am using the factory servos, Viper 200 amps, Smoothstepper, CNC4PC C23 BOB, Durapulse GS3 VFD. C15 relay board.

I have wired the VFD using this diagram from CNC4PC...  http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/C23R2toVFD2.pdf

The CNC4PC site shows an example of the ports and pins setup that shows pin 14 as the step pin which matches the wiring diagram for the spindle speed output on the C23(analog) to the VFD.  The direction pin is where I need some help.  The example CNC4PC indicates pin 8 for direction while the direction (CW & CCW) is handled on the wiring diagram by pin 1 and pin 16 which are the 2 built in relays on the C23.  I only have 1 direction pin in the Mach setup screen, but have 2 different pins that appear to me to control direction (CW & CCW) going to the VFD.  What is the correct pin number needed in the Mach setup screen?

Also since I am controlling speed with the VFD how do I setup the spindle pulleys part of the Mach spindle setup screen?

Thanks

Tom 

Hi Tom,
When using the VFD to control the spindle you have the analog 0-10v signal controls speed and then you need 2 wires to control the m03 and m04 commands.
SO far so simple right?

Under the ports and pins pages you need to do is check the spindle enable box. Normally step and directions pins are only if you are using a step and direction drive for the spindle.
I think that in your case they are using the step and direction pins to generate the analog signal. Pins 14 and 8 are setup per their instructions.

Then under the spindle setup tab you will pick outputs 1 and 2. Notice I said outputs 1 and 2, not pins 1 and 2.
The go to the ouputs tab and enable outputs 1 and 2. Set the pins for output 1 and 2 to match your wiring. In your case it looks to be pins 1 and 16.
Since I am going by what you have written and have never even seen this board in person take my advice with a grain of salt. YMMV.

Setting up the pulleys is covered in the Mach3 manual. I have only done it on my DSPMC controlled mill and I am not sure if it is the same so I won't confuse you.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.