Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:02:30 PM

Author Topic: Problem understanding display  (Read 4268 times)

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
Problem understanding display
« on: January 22, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »
I just installed a new controller a g540 and am setting it up.  When mach screen appears I have a flashing yellow saying LJ mode is incremental how do I turn that off?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Problem understanding display
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 07:19:11 PM »
General Config page sets the deafault for IJ mode, you can also change it by G Code but it will go back to default on a restart.
Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »
If you're talking about the abnormal condition, just double click on it.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
Okay that is what I did and it said this will be the permanent configuration now.  Just making sure I wasn't goofing things up.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 06:56:34 AM »
Best thing to do is to get rid of the stupid "Abnormal Condition" button. Seems that it's main purpose is to confuse people. :)
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 07:12:42 AM »
aYes it only says what you already know and are wondering why is it telling me this is abnormal.  Had me going for a while.  I hear that these steppers are rated to 90C god that is almost 200 F that's hot.  So I guess I really don't have a problem just thought I did.  I can touch them and hold them but they feel hot.  I guess that is normal my other controller was not holding like this one.  I dould turn the other controller activated by hand you won't move this one with a wrench.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 07:28:29 AM »
NormB,
When you get a chance latter on have a look at Appendix "C" in Threading On the Lathe writeup.
It provides info on how to use an initialization macro. The macro just sets all the switches ie;
like G20  ( sets inch units mode ) so that when Mach opens you are starting off with all the "swithces"
set the way you want to use Mach. The example shown is for the lathe ie; ( G18 Set x,z plane ) but with a few changes it would be good for the mill. Should you want to reset / go back to your original statup condition you just type the macro name in the MDI line.

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 08:01:32 AM »
When the stepper is just holding, there is still work being done. Sort of like you sitting in a chair feet down but resting, but, if you had to hold out your legs then you would be doing additional work and the energy creates heat.  The more current the stronger the magnetic field created, sort of like all the kids trying to get out of the school bus at the same time,  and  thus more heat ( the motor is not using the energy provided and by rule that energy is going somewhere , namely creating heat). Generally,at 140 deg F, you can touch something for a short time and won't get burnt. If your motors didn't get at least a little warm they aren't getting much current and won't provide power to do work.
Don't accept my poor explainations, but go to the Gecko site, and read some of the excellent info that is available there.

RICH