Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:23:19 AM

Author Topic: How to disable motor hold  (Read 7605 times)

How to disable motor hold
« on: January 22, 2010, 12:37:01 PM »
I have been using Kcam for about 2 years and today I installed Mach3 and everything works just fine.
But I have a little problem and I don't now how to fix it.
While CNC is running the axis that is not in use I can't turn with my hand (manually).
Even when I'm in jogging mode, I can't move the axis which is not in use (running) at that time.
I don't need the motor hold and I don't now how to disable this function.
In Kcam there is an option to turn it off and it worked perfectly but I  want to use Mach 3.
Thanks 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: How to disable motor hold
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 01:36:24 PM »
It all depends on how you are enabling this drive, can you give a bit more info about that and also what kind of drive it is?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »
The driver is "Steper motor driver by Tom McGure 12/27/06".
it works great with Mach 3 but this little problem I can't fix.
When I disable the first 3 options in Output signals then nothing works
The options are:

Enable1
Enable2
Enable3

I don't know what the problem is. In the Kcam4 the option is called  'Enabled: with step' or 'Enabled: Always on' in the Port setup.
But  I can't find this option in Mach3.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2010, 02:18:16 PM »
If you know which enable the drive in question is connected to you could then re configure it as an Output and either make a macro to enable/disable the drive from Gcode or MDI line  or you could have a screen button to do it.

Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2010, 03:18:30 PM »
is it even possible to disable the motor hold in Mach3? so that when the cnc is working i can manually change the for e.g. height of my z axis if i see that the height is not right. but all that without changing anything in Gcode. maybe by a button i still can't find??
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
To change the Zero on an axis during run - like Z for example...Do a 'feed hold', then if you need to move Z zero up .010 - add the .010 to the DRO reading, zero Z, take Z up to the reading + .010 and zero again, then back down to the reading without adding the .010 - that is Z up .010 from where it was. Then cycle start to end the feed hold. You can do any axis this way during a run.
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:32:34 PM »
To change the Zero on an axis during run - like Z for example...Do a 'feed hold', then if you need to move Z zero up .010 - add the .010 to the DRO reading, zero Z, take Z up to the reading + .010 and zero again, then back down to the reading without adding the .010 - that is Z up .010 from where it was. Then cycle start to end the feed hold. You can do any axis this way during a run.

You get the idea anyhow ... you don't need to disable 'motor hold' - use the jog. Watch the signs (+ or -) when you do this!