Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 05:54:07 PM

Author Topic: Possible new project pending feedback on LazyCam software  (Read 9696 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Possible new project pending feedback on LazyCam software
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »
Oh yeah, coming along nicely.  :)  Thanks for the update!

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
Re: Possible new project pending feedback on LazyCam software
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 10:19:03 AM »
Neat work so far, may I ask if you have a build thread on your R8 spindle that goes up to 9000 RPM's?

Do you possibly have a picture of it in pieces and showing/naming what bearings you used?

Thanks, and great work you have done-
Dave

No build thread for it... the spindle I bought online, I can't remember the bearings numbers off hand, they are Metric Japanese (30/40MM) and my supplier said they are capable to 14K, a high speed roller bearing - I do know from being a motorcycle guy that the same type of bearings are in the Kawasaki 900/1000 crankshafts and they can spin up to 12K, 10K sustained for a hour in the Daytona speed trials they did 40 years ago... they use a low pressure splash oiling system.
9K is TBD at this point, my main concern is the cast aluminum V pulleys up top... not concerned about the spindle build and that cogged belt pulley setup down below - that should be able to take that type of RPM, but I think those V pulleys are the weak spot - I may have to machine some pulleys out of billet to cope with higher RPMs... realistically I also don't know how rigid this setup will be untill I fire it up... its a bit of a gamble.
I am planning to put grease/oil ports at every bearing when I tear it apart, it will make it easier to service... I am also going to gang all the ports for the square axis bearings to a single feed cup on each side of the gantry and the spindle head.
I am also planning to put another pinch clamp on the bottom of the spindle housing to attach a router motor.