Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:47:06 AM

Author Topic: A Really Exceptional Vendor....  (Read 7277 times)

A Really Exceptional Vendor....
« on: January 19, 2010, 11:20:09 PM »
It's relatively rare these days to come across a truly exceptional vendor, so when I do, I like to give them a plug.

Several months ago, I bought several very inexpensive ($25 ea., IIRC) 1/2" 3-flute carbide endmills from CNCToyBox.com  (http://www.cnctoybox.org).  When I finally got around to actually trying them, a month or two later, I used the same RPM, feed, etc. that I'd been using with Accupro 3-flute carbides for months.  Unfortunately, it turned into something of a disaster, with several of them getting broken very quickly.  I contacted Curt at CNCToyBox, just to see if he had a recommendation for better parameters to use.  Instead, he made what I thought was a remarkably generous offer - He sent me a couple of very good, and very expensive, "Ferocious" hi-helix endmills (http://www.cnctoybox.org/store/page18.html), at no charge.

Well, a few days ago, I discovered that the broken endmills were really my fault, so I contacted Curt and told him I had scerwed up, I wanted to pay him for the Ferocious endmills he sent, and he refused to accept my payment, just saying "stuff happens"!

Needless to say, I will be ordering from Curt again!  In fact, I just did!  :-)

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: A Really Exceptional Vendor....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 02:49:40 PM »
On the other side of the coin are the Really Exceptionally BAD vendors, for which I nominate Keling Technology.
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:10:47 AM »
Well, let's hear the 'bad' story too....elaborate!

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 01:27:54 AM »
I've ordered from Keling a couple times, no issues.  In fact all the vendors I've used were really good for my machine, except HSD.

The good are, Home Shop CNC, Keling, 80/20, Gopher Electronics, McMaster Carr, CNC4PC, Doughty Drive, Gecko Drive, Automation 4 Less, all good.  I've gone back to them time and time again and recommend them highly.

Bad is HSD.  In fact, I hope nobody orders from them again;)
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:23:21 AM »
But then you go ahead and totally ignore my post....
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 07:46:24 AM »
Let's go one farther...An unsubstantiated claim of a "Really Exceptionally BAD" vendor should be taken with a grain of salt. The reason for these posts and 'opinions' would seem to be for the benefit of the members of the forum and as a means of warning of a bad vendor. If a member was just about to make a purchase from that vendor and read the claim - naturally he would like a bit of elaboration of the claim - problem with billing; problem with quality of merchandise; problem with shipping....?

There are ways of making a memberr know that he is unwelcomed. Having a post totally ignored is a pretty good one. I've tried but no cigar, I'll be going now as you wish.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 07:56:29 AM »
Simpson36,
Was the vendor problem an isolated incident? I only purchased some steppers from them and had no problem.
Can you put it into perspective?
RICH

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 07:58:14 AM »
Patience, Grasshopper. Things are not always as they seem. I see the question, but there was no urgency attached to it and I have only a very limited amount of time for forums, so I must prioritize. If there was an urgent need for an answer, then the error was in not stating so, methinks.

It would be a good strategy to determine the forum's policy on 'vendor bashing' before I get reprimanded for doing so, think? A moderator asking for clarification is an indication of that policy, one might imagine, so I will say that my issue with Keling is with their abysmal packaging resulting in damaged product (on three occasions) and my current gripe is with their sales/support which is completely incompetent and useless.

I will elaborate when I have time to choose my words carefully. Right now, as you may have guessed, I  am extremely annoyed with Keling . . . again . . . . I suspect you (Clemens) have some familiarity with that emotion . . . ;) , and it is important to be factual in such matters, you would agree.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:04:53 AM by simpson36 »

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 09:51:04 AM »

Here ya go. "Just the facts, Ma'am." 

Draw your own conclusion:

http://www.thecubestudio.com/KellingSupportEmailString.txt

Offline BarryB

•  267 267
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 10:44:50 AM »
since, you want elaboration on 'bad', I'll elaborate on HSD.  They sold me both a Spindle and VFD to power it.  The spindle ended up being heavier than their specs listed on their website, plus they won't admit they are wrong to that.  Next is with the drive itself, it was shipped without a manual, which wouldn't be a big deal if they could send me a pdf manual.  They sent a pdf manual from 'SIRCO', which is an OEM product of the same form factor but completely different error codes, settings.  I called and told them this several times, and they said that's the correct manual, very very pig headed.  I ended up buying a Hitachi VFD instead, which came with a manual, and was able to power the spindle in about 30 minutes.  The HSD one is in a box.  It's a $360 paperweight since HSD won't even take it back.  Bad vendor to the extreme.