Third party software and hardware support forums. > SmoothStepper USB

smoothstepper losing communication

(1/3) > >>

BarryB:
I've got a problem with the smoothstepper losing communication during a job.  It seems to do it randomly, sometimes within the first minute, sometimes, after 4 minutes.  The computer hasn't crashed otherwise.  It's a completely clean system, only thing on it, is mach3 and the smoothstepper software.  I even shut down the network card when I'm trying to run the mill.  Any ideas on how to get around this?

Barry

Jeff_Birt:
The first thing I would check is your SmmothStepper configuration. Configure your 'Max Step Frequency' and 'Velocity Update Frequency' to match you system. See this post for details: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,13762.msg90877.html#msg90877.

Next thing to check for is noise in the system: Is the USB cable wrapped around the stepper wires, do you have a line filter on your spindle motors, etc.

M250cnc:
Barry i had the same issue when i first started with the SS.

It was the USB bus i installed a USB2 device/port its been perfect ever since.

Phil

BarryB:
I have this on a laptop currently  I think I'm going to forgo controlling via laptop, and at the same time, forgo using the SmoothStepper.  It seems like there is so much fiddling with these things, and a lot of times, it might not ever work.

Barry

Jeff_Birt:
Don't know about fiddling. I've been using them for more than a year with great results...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version