Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:51:55 AM

Author Topic: Bug in plug-in re:Homing?  (Read 3361 times)

Bug in plug-in re:Homing?
« on: January 14, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »
I think there is a bug in the plug-in.  I have set up my system (1700 card, AMC amps) in SmartTerm and everything works OK.  a PR 40000 command followed by BGX moves X in the positive direction and PR -40000 with BGX moves it in the negative.  The Y axis works the same (I did need to swap the motor leads and the +A & -A on the Y axis to get it to move in the proper direction).

When I use Mach3, the X axis moves in the wrong direction.  If I set the X motor as a "Servo Reverse" in the plug-in (under the motors tab) the amplifier faults out after accumulating error. I think this feature incorectly changes the MT command without a change in the CE command.  Does that make sense?  Changing the Y axis does the same thing.

The other problem is with the Homing.  Under Mach3's Homing menu, if I set X axis Homing as reverse it changes the motor jogging direction when using the keyboard and the DRO reads backwards.  Changing this parameter in the Homing menu should not change how the keys on the keyboard function or change the DRO polarity.   It seems really weird.  The Y axis does the same thing.

Has anyone else experienced this or am I the only lucky one?  I do have the latest revision of the plug-in installed.

Any help is appreciated.

Jim
Re: Bug in plug-in re:Homing?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 06:35:12 AM »
Jim,

"Servo Reverse" is for correcting encoder phase without rewiring. These settings are explained in the GalilPlugIn.pdf on the plugin page.

The setting in the homing menu REVERSE is for changing the axis direction. If you want to home opposite check HOME NEG.

Darek
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:41:36 PM »
Hi Jim,
  You have my sympathy, I too was shocked the first time I selected "Servo Reverse" and watched the servo control loop crash. It seems to depend which page you read, on page 6 which is headed Prerequisites, it says "All Home and Limit switches should be connected and verified. You can use the 'Display Data Record' menu option in the 'Tools' menu of SmartTerm." Basically it tells you to do what most people would do, set up their servos using SmartTerm or other Galil utility and then run Mach and configure the Galil Plugin. Then on page 11 it shows that Servo Reverse" changes MT to -1 but leaves CE at 0. In my humble opinion it is somewhat unexpected to to find the DRO's and the physical movement working in the opposite direction, and even more of a surprise that "Servo Reverse" changes the polarity of the feedback signal in the servo control loop, if you haven't got that right before you start Mach you would be in problems. I personally would not change the polarity of the feedback in software, much safer to change the wiring. Darek is right when he points you to the Homing menu, I think you will find that by trying different combinations of "Reverse" and "Home Neg" you will get things moving in the right direction. And yes, it is weird, but Mach with Galil is Grrrrrrreat, and each with each version it gets even better. If you need any more help, come back as I have been setting up  Mach with a Galil 1750 today so it is pretty fresh in my mind.
 Kit
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 07:30:49 PM »
Thanks Kit and Derek,

I've got the the servos figured out now.  I think it is really cool to use Home with Index!  Seems like a very accurate way to use offsets.  It runs pretty nice at 400 ipm too!

I agree with Kit on the confusing instructions; it seems safer to correct the servo wiring and check it in SmartTerm and sort of dangerous to "correct" for improper wiring in software.

I'm still having trouble with my 1750 card and accessing the Data Record after restarting the computer.  I have the card registered in SmartTerm, but for some reason I have to fiddle around with DMA and FIFO after re-booting.  The card is a later version supposedly set-up without plug&play, but it shows up as a plug&play controller in SmartTerm.  I've tried to set it up as an ISA card, but no model 1700 cards are available in the drop-down list.  The card will work if I set the data record for FIFO (the data record can not be read with it set to DMA), but I have to toggle it back and forth between DMA and FIFO to get it to work. 

I have the card registered with Windows with DMA channel 1, memory at 1000, and IRQ5 & Windows says all is well.  The DMA channel, memory and IRQ are set with jumpers on the card.  I've read about installing an "ISA" jumper on JP7, but my card does not have a silk-screened label at that location.

Has anyone else had this sort of problem? 

Thanks,

Jim