Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:21:39 AM

Author Topic: USB and Mach  (Read 21575 times)

USB and Mach
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:23:53 AM »
Is there any solid solutions for interfacing USB instead of parallel ports to Mach?  I ask as I am finding more and more usb and less and less parallel ports.  If there is not a solid solution to that is there a way to create a stand alone parallel port box to work with a usb computer?  I used the SIIG II B5 5 volt double parallel port card and would like to have a laptop hook up. 

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: USB and Mach
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
Sounds like you need a SmoothStepper: http://soigeneris.com/Warp9.aspx (shameless plug :) )

It will give you 2+ parallel ports worth of I/O and it is integrated very nicely with Mach. It replicates about 98% of Mach's parallel port driver functionality. Backlash compensation is not available yet but Warp9 is in the process of adding it.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 01:19:57 PM »
looked at that route but have not been able to find anyone using any type of usb product that had anything good to say about them.  I no personal experience. 

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
You didn't look very hard then. There's a ton of people here using Smoothsteppers, most of which are quite happy.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 01:27:21 PM »
looked at that route but have not been able to find anyone using any type of usb product that had anything good to say about them.  I no personal experience.  

I think you will find that 99% or possibly even more of the users of the SmoothStepper are extremely happy with them. I have 4 machines from a small coil winder to a 3000kg lathe all using the SmoothStepper.
Hood

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 02:07:20 PM »
Every one of my STDR-4C drives has shipped with a SmoothStepper in it. I've also sold lots of them for use on all sorts of machines. As with any other piece of technology you have to know what the limitations are and if it is a good fit for your machine and intended use.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 02:18:58 PM »
The SS is about the best option out there for USB and Mach that i know of. Has a few limitations like Jeff mentioned.
RICH
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
I'm one of the people who have purchased a SS from Jeff Birt and have been using it now for about two months with no problems. I'm running Visa OS & Mach3, so no idea about other controller software.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2010, 10:45:17 PM »
wow...thanks for the input.  What are some of the limitations?  I am looking for something to run my minimills, minilathes, Industrial Hobbies mill, and 12x36 grizzly lathe.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:26:53 PM »
The two big issues (limitations) at this point are backlash compensation and plasma torch height control. I have heard of a few folks who have taken advantage of some of the unintended quirks of how the parallel port driver works (something about swapping Ports&Pins definitions while operating the machine.) For 99.9% of folks the SmoothStepper does all they would ever want it to.