Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:18:35 AM

Author Topic: Spindle won't run, flashes yellow?  (Read 9258 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle won't run, flashes yellow?
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 04:53:35 PM »
I will repost later on the motor tuning and settings, got to go.
Amazing what you find after RTFM, but then depends on what manual you read. ;)
Later,
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 05:38:32 PM »
I have no experience with the PP and spindle setup, I do know it said to set Vel as revs per second but when I did that with the SS it was 60 times to slow ;D

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »
READING THE MANUAL:   :) I can write but not read !  :D

In the Mach3 CNC Controller - Software and Installation Configuration Manual section page 5-29 section 5.5.5.3 you will find instructions on how to set the steps per unit. For a 1.8 degree stepper ( 200 steps ) and 10u steps you
would have a "steps per unit" ( pulses required  for one rev of spindle ) of 2000 x 135 (total  gear reduction in my case )=270000 for the input in motor tuning.

The velocity setting in motor tuning should be in "revs per second"  at full speed as Hood mentioned. I know the max reliable rpm for mine is around 10 rpm, then 10/60= 0.1666. When tried, the spindle turned extremely slow.  :-\
So input 10 ( 10 revs per minute) and spindle speed was correct.
Is the manual wrong?  ???

CONFIG>Pulley Selection - there is only one pulley, so to speak, for this kind of setup, so for pulley number 1
                                     O min   10 max   ratio 1

So i could measure / test the indicated RPM in the DRO ( make sure the spindle pulley is 1, lathe screen here) the configuration was changed as follows:
GENERAL CONFIG>Spindle Incr. value was changed from 10 to 1 (this allows you to step the spindle speed in 1 rpm increments and note that it must be an interger and can't input values like 0.5)

The spindle displayed rpm to set rpm agreed and was correct to within the  1 rpm value that i could measure. ( if you don't have an rpm measuring device you could always take  a time reading using a stop watch over a rev and get a fairly decent measurement.

All a user  need to do is read the whole manual to get the above posted info ........... ;D

BTW: MACH ver .033 using PP

Hope this helps,

RICH
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 01:11:40 AM »
Got 150rpm @100% speed rate with a per of 100000 vel of 10 and .1872 other value with a S1500 gcode. Im sure to someone a 1.8 deg stepper in half step these formulas make perfect sense? (1 pulley) but not to me? It does work however and that makes me very happy, perhaps when I am less stressed I will take the time to make sense of it???
thanks again for the help!!!!!
Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 02:52:58 AM »
Rich
 Didnt know if the PP used Revs per Sec as per manual or Revs Per Min as per the SS. Actually the SS is supposed to be set up differently according to Greg but it seems to work the normal way. The way Greg says to set the SS up is Steps per is the max frequency, so for 2000line encoder servo that would be 2000 x 4 =8000 Then multiply by full speed so say 2000 in my case that would be 16,000,000 then divide by 60 to get the frequ it equals 266,666.  The Vel is then set to 60. Seems a weird way to do it but it works just the same with the SS  In the end the values work out the same as 8,000 Steps per  x 2,000 Vel = 16,000,000 pulses and 266,666.666666666666666666666 x 60 = 16,000,000 pulses just one way is easier to work out than the other LOL
 One other thing I have found out regards the SS which may or may not affect the PP is if you dont have the max pulley set to the max spindle speed it will need some crazy numbers in the steps per unit, seems the SS is also looking at that value and working things out from it and I have never heard Greg mention this or seen it written any place. No mention in the manual whether this is the case for the PP as far as I can see.

Steve, if your  spindle is direct drive try 400 for steps per 150 for Vel (if thats what the max speed will be) and then the Accel will be set to suit depending on the ramp you want. If that is not giving you the correct values make sure you have the Pulley setup to your max speed of 150 with no ratio set and make sure pulley 1 is selected on the diagnostics page, not sure if this effects the parallel port but it definitely does for the SmoothStepper.
Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2010, 10:56:56 AM »
Thanks Hood,
Interesting, in that, just a little miss interpretation of what is written, can create a lot of confusion.
You can see this through many posts on rotary / 4th axis use. Then you get into use of the rotary for indexing
or continuous rotation, add the rotation radius settings for feedrate compensation, maybe restrictions on motion in the different planes, work arounds that have been posted to do something,lack of a feedback ie; encoder or index, some recent changes to Mach ,the swapping axis and gcoding ......well, lets just say the rotary  can complex quickly!
And a bad setting in the beginning can affect things down the road.

Nothing around that puts it all in perspective ........good grief .......another write up.......How to get confused!  :)
RICH

Having fun Pete?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 10:59:38 AM by RICH »
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 12:51:35 PM »
Hey guys, HOOD those numbers are what generated this post to start with, as far as i can tell you get you get about a pulse  a second?  what i did does work great but its a lot of zero's 00000000, I don't know why it does not work? maybe I have a setting wrong? I dunno? I just kept adding zero's untill I gor some speed, Firured 10's would work best to actually figure out why what i have done works do produce the desired results, with only one extra 0 in the speed!!!
I do have 4 pulleys set, 1 didn't seem to change anything. the max speed change did seem to create some negative problems however so I set it back to 25000. IT wont EVER go that fast anyways, and it messes with all those zero's

I think when I get serious about power and size, optical coders and a frequency drive is what this is geared towards. not a stepper motor? but it does work, but doesn't seem to be plug n play like the other axis's.

If someone gets bored feel free to recheck these results, at least I will know for sure. I am using the parallel ports to drive a step direction controller. I think the first response had some merit saying an external frequency generator, using
1 pulse as 1 revolution would produce better results?

Steve

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 01:15:58 PM »
Rich
 as said I have never used the PP with my servos so not sure if it is indeed RPM rather than RPS as the manual states, certainly looks like it though.
With your readout problem when you set a ratio, can you try 032 as that is fine for me with the readout/ratio. Ver 4 that I have been testing has no readout but afraid I have been working away today so not had a chance to try setting 1:1 to see if that is the problem.

Steve,
 I have AC servo spindles on the lathe and mill and they are superb, it is the way to go if you can afford them or manage to pick them up like I have for a reasonable cost. Continuous torque from zero RPM up to rated RPM and plenty of speed.

Hood