Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:30:51 AM

Author Topic: Correct orentation for X and Y  (Read 13131 times)

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Correct orentation for X and Y
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »
Just to muddy the waters, My mill has home as the back right corner  >:D
No problem as I always move and then reset to the work coordinate zero.

My Router has the X-Y the same as indicated by others, this is basically because I consider the longest axis to be X.
Most screens are setup as landscape so it makes sense to have the machine set up in the same way, just all for visual ease of use. I have enough difficulty remembering thing as it is  :P

Dave, I suspect you have some setting wrong in mach, you can flip an axis on the axis settings page. I definitely couldn't live with this being wrong, I'd forget to mirror on an important expensive bit of material 30 seconds before all the suppliers shut for the weekend. :)

Steve
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2010, 02:09:25 PM »
Normal CNC convention, like almost everything else, uses a right hand coordinate system.  If you wrap the fingers of your right hand from +x to +y, your extended thumb points in the +z direction (normally up).  Another way of saying this is that if you look down at the table, +y should be 90 deg. counter clockwise from +x.  If the reverse is true, everything will cut mirrored.     

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 09:28:04 PM »
The only thing that matters is the relationship between each axis.  Best described by the right hand rule.

Which end you call the front is just a user convenience thing.

Maybe you do work where it suits to call the axis with the longest travel X.

Maybe you stand at the "Red Button" end (see above) and want X axis left to right as you operate.

It makes no difference.  So long as axis relationship adheres to the right hand rule.

Greg
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2010, 09:48:45 PM »
Bowber

Where would I find the axis settings page?

Dave
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2010, 10:17:34 PM »
I changed the X so it's going left to right and the Y to travel away in the plus direction. The problem is that I can't walk around my router, and I cut wood that is almost always longer than 4'. So I'm back to flipping my image before I create the tool path, or rotating it 90 degs in cut2d before making tool paths. Right now I don't see any other way to do it.

Dave
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2010, 10:58:20 PM »
Hi Dave,
 If you put a 4x8 project on your table like the one in black, you need to configure your axis like shown in black. If you put the project on the other way, rotated 180 deg, then your axis should be configured as the red indicates.
Matters not where your home switches are, the HOME OFF takes care of that.
Not sure what else to offer.
HTH,
Russ

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2010, 11:16:16 PM »
I think what Dave is saying is that he can only stand at the short end, which makes it hard for him to draw that way on the screen.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2010, 11:29:26 PM »
I stand at the short end on my router and have X-Y orientated like the black line in the pic two posts up.  ;D

Just suits my setup. Access etc. Control console is on my right.  And the gantry homes and parks away from me, out of the way.

Greg

Offline NormB

•  169 169
  • Norm
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2010, 04:04:44 AM »
I guess it really doesn't matter what you call X or Y as long as you can keep it straight in your own mind when you set up the tool path.  Bing simple mined myself I like to see the Cad screen oriented the same way my router table is so the the X and Y match and I am not making corrections from one step to the other.

I am rather new to this so I try to keep things simple and even that at times seems complicated but as time passes I guess it will become easier.  I mus say this is the best forum for any product I have ever joined.  Many Many ideas and I really think they are all correct for what each person does. 
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2010, 10:41:20 AM »
Overloaded

My router is set up like your picture. The only two sides I can get to are the sides you can see in your picture. So I do most of my cutting from the corner in the bottom of the picture. What I was doing was to use that corner as my 0,0. I'm old as dirt, so it takes me a little ( ok a lot ) longer to understand what's going on. It only took three pages of this thread, but I finally got it

Well I'm going out and set my 0,0 to the reference you have in red. I'm still going to do most of my cutting from the same corner, I'm just going to set my 0,0,0 on the right side of my board instead of the left. I manually set my 0,0 each time before I start cutting anyway so it really doesn't matter. Now it's going to take about 8 hours or so to go back and change all my tool paths, but I won't have to worry about it any more.

Too much LDS when I was younger I guess.

Dave