Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:33:00 AM

Author Topic: Mach 3 and Linux  (Read 38355 times)

Re: Mach 3 and Linux
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 06:18:59 PM »

My friend says anything will run under Linux, that's the point of Linux... you just have to have Linux set up correctly. I'm just asking around to see if anybody has jumped in to it. Maybe I can get him to! If so, I'll definitly post it here.

Not even close to being true.  If he means "there is a program for doing pretty much anything that will run under linux"  then he's closer to being correct.  Simply proclaiming that you can run any program on a Linux or any other *nix system is foolish.  Programs are written to work with a particular operating system.  There are limited work arounds for limited programs to run them under specified conditions.  Those impart additional restrictions to the program, not remove limitations due to Windows.
If you want machine control under Linux, try EMC2. 
Re: Mach 3 and Linux
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »
It sounds like it could be something with your pc. Mach and XP work very well. I use Linux Ubuntu just to browse the web and for emails and things. For work, I use Mach on an old 512mb tower that is not connected to the internet. For machining, stay with Mach, stay with Windows.