Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:03:27 PM

Author Topic: touchscreen monitor  (Read 6915 times)

Re: touchscreen monitor
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2010, 11:39:33 PM »
Hi Josh,
  I looked into this a while back but it fell to a lower priority.
Here is some info I saved from the wiki:

Resistive
   A resistive touchscreen panel is composed of several layers, the most important of which are two thin, metallic, electrically conductive layers separated by a narrow gap. When an object, such as a finger, presses down on a point on the panel's outer surface the two metallic layers become connected at that point: the panel then behaves as a pair of voltage dividers with connected outputs. This causes a change in the electrical current which is registered as a touch event and sent to the controller for processing.

Surface acoustic wave
   Surface acoustic wave (SAW) sumit technology uses ultrasonic waves that pass over the touchscreen panel. When the panel is touched, a portion of the wave is absorbed. This change in the ultrasonic waves registers the position of the touch event and sends this information to the controller for processing. Surface wave touch screen panels can be damaged by outside elements. Contaminants on the surface can also interfere with the functionality of the touchscreen.

Capacitive
     A capacitive touchscreen panel consists of an insulator such as glass, coated with a transparent conductor such as indium tin oxide. As the human body is also a conductor, touching the surface of the screen results in a distortion of the local electrostatic field, measurable as a change in capacitance. Different technologies may be used to determine the location of the touch. The location can be passed to a computer running a software application which will calculate how the user's touch relates to the computer software.

Hope this helps a bit,
Russ
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 12:23:38 AM »
Here is a basic one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-15-TOUCH-SCREEN-PANEL-KIT-16-9-USB-INT-4-WIRE-RES_W0QQitemZ370314247244QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item563872fc4c

I had a complet tutorial for LCD and CRT installations but lost it in the big crash of 08'.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 05:24:34 PM »
Josh dont worry about it, Ray was out of order with that reply IMO.
I got mine all from eBay and prices are dropping way down since I first started buying them. Fitting has been easy enough but will depend on how your TFT bolts together whether you will have to add spacers or not. Never had to do it on any of mine so far but did have to put some foam round the edges of one to stop the front panel pressing the touch panel. The stuff I used was just the self adhesive neoprene that refrigeration guys use to lag the pipes but anything would have done as long as it kept the front panel of the monitor off of the screen by a small amount. On all the other screens the hole in the monitor front was large enough that it was not a problem as it was outside the active area on the panel.

Hood