Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:11:33 PM

Author Topic: Galil DMC-2100 as Z axis only  (Read 3629 times)

Galil DMC-2100 as Z axis only
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:50:40 AM »
I have a DMC-2100, which is a single axis controller, that I would like to use to implement a plasma table THC.  Before I waste too much time on this project, I wanted to be sure that I can use the Parallel port to control the x and y axes, and the Galil to control the z axis.  Has anybody done something similar before?

Thanks,
Ben

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Galil DMC-2100 as Z axis only
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:11:02 PM »
Sorry,
You can't use the parallel port driver and the Galil plugin together. You CAN use the Galil in standalone mode with a program running on it and use the analog input to control the height and also use one of the inputs wired to a Mach output to enable THC. That would be my recommendation for your situation.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 11:47:06 AM »
Thanks.  I was hoping to use the Galil's ability to run a standalone program, along with its analog inputs to control torch height while cutting.  I was also hoping to be able to use Mach 3 control for jogging the z axis, along with setting z standoff height for the selected material, and z elevated traverse.  I don't see a really practical way of using this controller if I lose the ability to control z height from within Mach 3.

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 01:44:07 PM »
Why not try using the Galil auxiliary encoder as a step/direction input which would get its input from the parallel port and have the running program to do some offsetting based on an analog input? You would need to make use of the auxiliary encoder input and gear the x axis to it.
Regards,
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.