Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:54:41 AM

Author Topic: To CV or not to CV  (Read 3907 times)

To CV or not to CV
« on: December 24, 2009, 09:34:10 AM »
That is the question.  ;D

If your running a router at high speed yes you want the CV and the headache settings that go with it.

But if your running a mill/lathe is it a waste of time.

Thoughts anyone ?

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: To CV or not to CV
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 11:01:08 AM »
Phil,
I don't use cv when cutting threads on the lathe ( may affect the pull out and end of thread ). I do use it when cutting a profile as it they usualy have angular and arc moves. You may want to just cut a ball on the end of a piece with it on or off and see the difference is surface finish and axis movements.

Use it also for the mill. Same thing when milling a circle or curved surfaces.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 11:14:09 AM »

But if your running a mill/lathe is it a waste of time.

Thoughts anyone ?

Phil

I would think you don't run a mill very often :) 
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2009, 11:41:43 AM »

You think wrong then. ;D

I have never tried to run in exact stop

Phil,
I don't use cv when cutting threads on the lathe ( may affect the pull out and end of thread ). I do use it when cutting a profile as it

RICH

I have tried a couple of threads but just left CV on, it did act weird after though maybe it turns off CV automatically. ???

Phil
The Good Thing About Mach3, Is It's very Configurable

The Bad Thing About Mach3, Is It's Too Configurable

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2009, 12:18:27 PM »
That is the question.  ;D

If your running a router at high speed yes you want the CV and the headache settings that go with it.

If your cutting 2D or 2.5D parts, there's another option. Download the development version of the Tempest Trajectory Planner. It's very limited, especially not being able to pause. However, if you set the tolerance to a very low number, say .001-.005, you'll get perfect CV with no corner rounding. It works outstanding.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »

You think wrong then. ;D

I have never tried to run in exact stop

Phil,
I don't use cv when cutting threads on the lathe ( may affect the pull out and end of thread ). I do use it when cutting a profile as it

RICH

I have tried a couple of threads but just left CV on, it did act weird after though maybe it turns off CV automatically. ???

Phil

Then why are you asking the question?  As others have pointed out to you it is most certainly not a "waste of time" when running a mill.  I dunno about you, but the less jerk my screws see the better. 
I'm not sure if you are trying to be humorous or genuinely don't see why CV is valuable, the internet doesn't pass nuances in conversation, but every big mill I've run has some sort of CV. People pay a lot of money for machines with advanced look ahead and CV moves, there is a reason for that.