Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:04:38 PM

Author Topic: Probing with 032 latest lockdown  (Read 4284 times)

Probing with 032 latest lockdown
« on: December 18, 2009, 12:44:58 PM »
Hi Guys,
I am setting up probing on My DSPMC powered mill since Rufi was kind enough to send me an updated firmware. I am just wondering if there are any issues with probing in any of the recent releases. I am currently running 032
The problem I am currently having is that the Z follows the G31 properly but the X and Y go only in one direction regardless of how I program it.

Any thoughts?

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Online Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Probing with 032 latest lockdown
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 11:08:38 AM »
The problem I am currently having is that the Z follows the G31 properly but the X and Y go only in one direction regardless of how I program it.

Any thoughts?

Are you using fixture offsets or G53?

Are you working in G90 or G91 are you saying that minus values move plus or what?

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 11:38:44 AM »
Hi Graham,
I am just testing out my probe.
I am not using any offsets and G90.
 If I am at say x4 y4 and program a g31 x6 f15 the table moves in the negative direction, I am assuming it should move in the positive direction from 4 to 6. Same thing occurs in the Y.
The Z responds the way I think it should.
I am testing out a new firmware and was just making sure that there was not a know bug in the recent releases of Mach3.

Since Ray L. has got the knee working for tool length compensation and I have seen some nice ways to automatically find the center of a hole and so forth, I thought it was high time I got my probe working.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.

Online Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
If you do this what happens :-

Start at x4 y4.

G91
G31 X2. F15.

Graham
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 08:10:25 AM »
Hi Graham,
Sorry for the late reply but work has been killer.
I was able to find out that it was a glicht in the dll file and have recieved an update.
I will be trying it out tonight.
I was also incorrect in that both the y and z were working properly. It was just a problem with the X.

Mike

Online Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 10:29:07 AM »
OK, no problem  :)
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 10:37:59 AM »
I just got in from testing the updated dll and it works. So far just a test with g31 in the mdi window but it works. I will hopefully be able to do some advanced testing in the next few days.

Mike
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 12:41:47 AM »
We ll today I was able to get the quick disconnect for the probe installed into the back of my control panel.
It is just a head phone jack like in your MP3 player.
I also put a digitize led on the main page since with 24v used for my I/O the led had to be disconnected. The led on the main page allows me to see if the probe is working when I set it up
The probe is in a collet chuck and is sitting in the spindle as we speak. Doing a G31 via mdi and tripping the probe results in the axis stopping smartly.

I will man up tomorrow and try something simple like finding the edge of a part or my vise. I have been looking and there seems to be a lot of macros for using the probe. I want to use the probe for finding all kinds of stuff and will be getting or making a second to use as an automatic tool length setter.
I will update as I go.

Mike
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2009, 02:50:54 AM »
Did some testing yesterday and the results were within aceptable parameters as Data would say.

I did a simple probe of a piece of angle stock with the angle pointing up. This gave a ridge like structure to probe. When it was all done there was a very symmetrical pattern of dots where the probe had made contact. The dots were of the same level as a light scratch, barely marking the surface.
Using the built in probing wizard that Mach 3 comes with, I ran a simple probe about 2 by 2 and set the z at 1 inch of travel. even at 30 ipm the probe worked flawlessly and the DSPMC responded very well. The probe is very repeatable.

A simple test of probing the edge of the vise and coming at it in the same direction each time to eliminate the effects of backlash show it to be less than thou off and my axis tuning could use some work. I have a dead band of 3 encoder counts that also adds some error to the system. 1 count is .00005 or 1/2 a tench IIRC.

See the bargain basement for the ad by Zarzul if you want one or get it from his authorized reseller Wildhorse innovations.

Mike