Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:05:02 AM

Author Topic: pockets messing up  (Read 7145 times)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: pockets messing up
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 08:03:09 PM »
Overhang is not functional. Finish is the amount of stock you want to leave for another finish pass. So you would clean out the area and then make a finish pass.

BTW This particular profile is a PITA!
RICH
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2009, 08:21:40 PM »
Thanks.  So any idea how to make a PITA pocket?  Or are we refering to the other deffintion of Pita?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2009, 09:20:13 PM »
cpayne,
For this PITA file just take one read of the attached file before going to bed and then
apply  the verbage  to the attached Lcam.  :D

I have seen this kind of problem when trying to do a pocket. When it dosen't work, which can be due to a whole
bunch of things, the drawing, the tool, practical machining approach, corrupted file. Sometimes it's just better to take a different approach and it will get pocketed. BTW, i tried to pocket it with a different program and it was even worse. You won't pocket something if you can't create an offset for the profile. So that is always my 2nd option after a check of the drawing.
Please note that i wanted to do this using  an 1/8" end mill. with smaller cutters it probably would have been easier i guess.

RICH

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »
Yup.....see that now, Thanks.
Never had THAT change before. Always at .0001, till now.
rc

Decimal precision is saved in the .dxf file. So when you open it, it **should** change the settings in your CAD program as well.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 10:10:11 PM »
I thought that MIGHT be the case but wasn't sure.....Thanks Gerry
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 01:59:18 PM »
Well after much fiddling and what not, I decided to try to draw the pocket cuts in CAD.  I managed to get the outside and inside offsets as one continous chain.    In drawing the offsets in CAD (Solidworks) i releasized why LazyCam had trouble with it.  Just offseting the lines kept creating all sorts of illegal overbound situations, but I finally faked it inot working.   Next is to try it out and see what happens.   THe issue will be as I need to make tweaks to the design, etc I will have to manually repocket it or manipulate it so lazycam can handle it each time, both time consuming...

THanks for all the help.

Charlie