Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:40:05 AM

Author Topic: Trying to make NC  (Read 3491 times)

Trying to make NC
« on: December 06, 2009, 11:45:59 AM »
 I'm trying to find a quick cutting methed , maby 15 to 20 to carve *Faces* . The ones I do seem to take hours . Is there a way

I can change things around in my favor ?

The programs I use are = bmp2xyz = MagicEffect Photo Editor 2009 = Adobe Photoshop 7.0 = Bmp2Cnc and Mach3 . How can I improve

this metheds ???????
Re: Trying to make NC
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 10:21:44 AM »
I need  help ???????????????/
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 12:00:20 PM »
Any way to tackle it, machining something like that is going to take some time, especially if you are after a quality job and are using a very small step over distance.  I think those programs you have  basically just create a bunch of Z points in space and the machine just goes from point to point....Sort of like cutting an arc in the XY plane that consist of a bunch of short line segments.  

When I was doing a lot of this sort of thing, I generated a point cloud then created a surface in Rhino using the point cloud then generated a tool path on the surface.  The resulting machine time was quite a bit shorter.  I know it's expensive, but if you ever get the chance, try the face wizard in Artcam.  It creates a true 3D relief model.  BMP2XYZ and similar programs just convert levels of grayscale to a z height.  Darker = deeper usually.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 07:16:27 PM »
Cutting 3D dimensional surfaces take a while.  No way around it, you trade time for finish quality.  If you want it to take shorter it will look worse.  If you must speed things up a little bit use decent CAM software, which will let you pick surfaces and optimize feed an step over to each where you need it.  Not a trivial exercise, and these programs are pretty expensive.  It also takes a fair amount of skill to effectively toolpath 3D surfaces. 
If you get good looking results with what you have, the path to speed is going to come at a great cost.  That's why people pay big bucks for fancy high speed machinery with high speed spindles, to get higher feed rates. 
You may be able to increase your feeds as well.  Are you roughing out with a separate operation?  Using a square end mill, or a larger ball mill and step over you can get rid of material quickly, then speed up feeds for the finishing pass where you are ideally removing little material at small step overs.