Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:24:45 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 won't generate toolpath.. Stops on G17 when loading  (Read 3959 times)

Mach3 won't generate toolpath.. Stops on G17 when loading
« on: December 11, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »
I'm having a strange issue that I'm not sure how to fix. I'm doing an ingraving with G code generated by BobCAD/CAM. I've engraved and cut one part, and I'm now trying to do the mirrored reverse of that same engraving and part. I used the same CAD drawing, mirrored it across the Y axis and generated the G code. But Mach3 loads the code, doesn't generate the toolpath and stops at the first line that has a G17 in it. Two lines exist with G17's and when I click on the G code display in Mach3 it just jumps back and forth between the two G17 lines. I'm assuming it's indicating a problem but the same G17 lines exist in the mirrore reverse and that G code loads just fine. Anyone have any suggestions on what to look at?
Re: Mach3 won't generate toolpath.. Stops on G17 when loading
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:45:29 AM »
OK. I think I know why Mach3 is having an issue. The line the G code stops at is G17 G03 X2.787 Y1.167 I0. J0 F40. I don't fully understand the G code but the G03 should have something specified for I or J in order to do a CCW Arc Correct? I don't think Mach3 likes the I0. J0 being zero. I found that spot on the engraving and deleted the line segments in the area and created new line segments. I've generated the g code and I no longer see this bad entry so it's probably fixed. I'll test it on Mach and see in the morning.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 08:45:16 AM »
Is Mach3 giving you an error, something about the end of the arc?
If your IJ mode is absolute, then I and J can both be zero. In incremental IJ mode, only one of them can be zero. That's probably the problem.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 08:36:36 PM »
Mach3 doesn't give any errors. Just loads the G code and stops on that line (line 304) out of several thousand lines and doesn't generate the visual toolpath screen. I have it resolved now, I found a tiny line segment so it was probably attempting to cut something that was less than .00001 so it had I0 J0 so I deleted it and created a new line segment. Strange that it doesn't have an issue with the mirrored reverse.