Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:47:21 PM

Author Topic: Idea for CNC Mach controlled Quilting Machine (No costly stitch regulator)  (Read 18976 times)

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
Re: Idea for CNC Mach controlled Quilting Machine (No costly stitch regulator)
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2009, 02:11:04 PM »
Hi Ray...You are a genius ..This is what i want to do...I thought it is not possible with Mach3 because of my ignorance to the knowledge of encoders... I was thinking to control the X/Y carriage with Mach3 and the spindle i.e. Motor with Arduino Microcontroller...
But now i dropped my idea to control the spindle with Arduino,its a bit complicated..Now i want to control the whole system with Mach3 alone..Ray CAN YOu help me in this HOW CAN I DO IT IN MACH3..Kindly give me some step by step method/Hints so that i can do this..Please
Following is my thread on Arduino Forum
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1260432183/0#3

But i was stuck into that problem and my mind is not working :( I am at the totally dead point and YOU came in the form of LIGHT RAY..thanks
I was also thinking on the same and i made some pseudocode for Arduino

Consider we have two potentiometer at both carriage X and Y.
consider both Pots divided into 0~5V ( corresponding PWM 0~255) we can map..

To get the value of Hyp. of triangle the pseudocode..

//Initialization of variables

hyp=0
Old_PWM_A=0
New_PWM_A=0
Old_PWM_B=0
New_PWM_B=0
Constant_RPM_Wheel= 5  //lets suppose this is initial rough value
//This value will later fine tuned, but for the time now consider the  //sewing machine Paddle is pressed at this when 'hyp=0' or there is //no movement in carriage.

/* When the Machine carriage will start movement (manual or Computer controlled) we will convert the Previous New_PWM values into Old_PWM values */

New_PWM_A= Some value we will get when Pot. change value
Old_PWM_A= previously stored New_PWM_value at A
New_PWM_B=Some value we will get when Pot. change value
Old_PWM_B= previously stored New_PWM_value at B

Now calculating the value of 'hyp' variable and put some DELAY
hyp= SQRT(Sqr(New_PWM_A-Old_PWM_A)+sqr(New_PWM_B-Old_PWM_B))

This hyp value will be scaled or Mapped
If this hyp!=0 then we can run another DC motor that will press the paddle foot with simple mechanism.

----------------------------------------------------------
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 03:46:35 PM »
How about this.
Attach a rotary encoder to the main rotating component of the sewing machine, configure the encoder to Mach as a pendant MPG and run the G-code in Shuttle Mode by simply pressing the treadle to control the speed.
Maybe ?
Not too difficult to try.
Just guessin',
RC
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 04:51:11 PM »
How about this.
Attach a rotary encoder to the main rotating component of the sewing machine, configure the encoder to Mach as a pendant MPG and run the G-code in Shuttle Mode by simply pressing the treadle to control the speed.
Maybe ?
Not too difficult to try.
Just guessin',
RC
Now that's the simple solution I was trying to think of!  The new AMT encoders that are out there would be ideal, as you can vary the number of pulses per rev, making it easier to sync up the two.
Makes a whole lot of sense from a practical usage standpoint too, sewing people are used to pushing the pedal to make things go, not clicking "cycle start".  Plus when you stop the pedal, motion stops. 

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 11:33:02 PM »
Hi RC and Koko again:)

Thanks for brainstorming... Is it possible to complete automation of the system without human intervention...I didn't used the pendant stuff nor i ran my machine ever on shuttle mode..but i will study it too..Last night i studied Mach3Turn manual and Mach3manual but i find no clue How can we synchronise the two inputs from X/Y carriages encoder to get a single Velocity vector suggested by RAY..

However when i studied about MPG pendant and Shuttle pro i found that this will again require a human to stand by the machine and it will be difficult for a human to control the regulaerity of stitch length..Am I right? Somewhere at CNC Zone i studied about the Pendant and Shuttle Pro capability of Mach3

I really like this one. Run a program, during the run press the Shuttle
Button. The program will ramp to a stop (Deceleration time may be set int he
config/state screen). Now turn your MPG, the tool will move with your
turning of the wheel and execute the program slowly. Once your past the
feature you were nervous about, hit the shuttle button again and the program
will ramp back up to speed and continue. You may only go forward, but I did
allow you to turn the wheel in either direction just in case your right hand
gets tired playing with this feature. (It is VERY cool, I can see why this
is popular, and have no doubt it will be popular in Mach3...).
Whatever JOG mode you are in will switch to MPG mode when you press
shuttle, but it will revert back to what you had selected when you exit
shuttle mode. Please let me know what you think of not only the way it
works, but how well it works for you. Small tweaking may be necessary on my
part. (Though my mill and I love it.. :) )"

If i use Pendant for Mach and run it in shuttle mode, then If i have to use my hand to control the speed at each bend/corner of the design Gcode then it will be difficult to automate ...

I will be happy if you all can help me in this matter.. I have started the making of machine and it will take less than a week to be opera
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 11:47:46 PM »
OEM DRO 813 gives the blended velocity, which should be what you need.  Depending on what kind of update rate you need, you might be able to use a VB macropump to read that (update rate would be about 10X/second in Mach3 v3, and 20X/second in v4), and adjust the Spindle Speed Over-ride (OEM DRO 74) to modulate the spindle speed output to control the stitch rate.  If the update rate is too slow, you'd have to either move it into a brain, or a plug-in.  Under v4, plug-ins will be pretty easy to write.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »
Ray Thanks for coming back and insight... I will difinitly study all that stuff i never did before and implement for this purpose..However with your help it seems not difficult... I hope you will keep brain storming and will guide all of us to the path of success..

Best Regards
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2009, 12:11:06 AM »
In fact, if you used a brain to scale the blended velocity, and feed it back into the SSO, that might just do what you need with almost no effort.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2009, 02:19:40 AM »
Dear Ray,
Kindly guide me what Hardware i shall require?.. and what is SSO?.. Also please tell me Can i use ARDUINO in this project...
Following is Arduino Specification...
http://arduino.cc/en/Guide/Introduction

It can drive Servo, Stepper and DC Motor ..A good amount of Analog input Pin/and Out put pins..It also has digital input output pins..
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2009, 10:29:40 AM »
Hi RC and Koko again:)

Thanks for brainstorming... Is it possible to complete automation of the system without human intervention...I didn't used the pendant stuff nor i ran my machine ever on shuttle mode..but i will study it too..Last night i studied Mach3Turn manual and Mach3manual but i find no clue How can we synchronise the two inputs from X/Y carriages encoder to get a single Velocity vector suggested by RAY..

However when i studied about MPG pendant and Shuttle pro i found that this will again require a human to stand by the machine and it will be difficult for a human to control the regulaerity of stitch length..Am I right? Somewhere at CNC Zone i studied about the Pendant and Shuttle Pro capability of Mach3

I really like this one. Run a program, during the run press the Shuttle
Button. The program will ramp to a stop (Deceleration time may be set int he
config/state screen). Now turn your MPG, the tool will move with your
turning of the wheel and execute the program slowly. Once your past the
feature you were nervous about, hit the shuttle button again and the program
will ramp back up to speed and continue. You may only go forward, but I did
allow you to turn the wheel in either direction just in case your right hand
gets tired playing with this feature. (It is VERY cool, I can see why this
is popular, and have no doubt it will be popular in Mach3...).
Whatever JOG mode you are in will switch to MPG mode when you press
shuttle, but it will revert back to what you had selected when you exit
shuttle mode. Please let me know what you think of not only the way it
works, but how well it works for you. Small tweaking may be necessary on my
part. (Though my mill and I love it.. :) )"

If i use Pendant for Mach and run it in shuttle mode, then If i have to use my hand to control the speed at each bend/corner of the design Gcode then it will be difficult to automate ...

I will be happy if you all can help me in this matter.. I have started the making of machine and it will take less than a week to be opera
No, the human does not control the stitch length in this scenario, the human ONLY controls the speed at which the program runs via the foot pedal.  Mach3 waits for the encoder counts to go by, and moves the X and Y accordingly, that is what shuttle mode does.  "Stitch length" is a function of the velocity of the motor used for the sewing machine.  If you track it's motion and sync the table to that you have a controlled length.

Offline khalid

•  213 213
    • View Profile
    • My Wood carving
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2009, 01:47:24 AM »
KOKO..Thank you for your feedback on this...

Now what i understand is to install an ENCODER ( can i use encoder from a Mouse) on sewing Machine Wheel .. Now I just want some more HELP.. As RC posted his comments
"configure the encoder to Mach as a pendant MPG and run the G-code in Shuttle Mode by simply pressing the treadle to control the speed"

I have few questions:
1- How many encoders are required? Where the wires from  the  encoder will be connected to?..Can i use Breakoutboard to connect the wires?
3- How can I configure the encoder to Mach as a pendant MPG?
4- Do I need EXTERNAL HARDWARE for MPG i.e.Knob or I can use the Mach3 MPG ( software based)..