Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:45:05 AM

Author Topic: 1987 Bridgeport Production Center Interact 412 to Mach3 Conversion  (Read 212816 times)

Re: 1987 Bridgeport Production Center Interact 412 to Mach3 Conversion
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2010, 05:23:23 PM »
LOL, the Caption was full the night before…   I guess its time to clean up my mess in the shop.

Yes, the plan is to have a 3 Power Supplies, one for each Axis.  The toroidal transformers that I have are only rated at 800VA, so each system can supply 10Amps at 80VDC (i think this is how it works, I not measured it under a load…)  The monster cap is to help with supplying more current during heavy acceleration and deceleration of the servos. 

During the testing of the X and Y, I only used 1 power supply shared between them.  I could see the output voltage dropping as low as 72VDC.  I didn’t want the voltage drop or back EMF to effect the other axis when running.  At least that’s the theory.

JH
X and Y Testing
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2010, 02:18:07 PM »
The 3 Power Supplies are now completed with the X, Y and Z Axis integrated and tuned.  Used some high tech encoder covers to protect them (don’t worry, there is metal protector as well).  The performance has been good on the X and Y, getting rapids as fast as 250 IPM, however the Y axis will faults sometimes.  So we down graded to 200 IPM, and the X and Y run all of the time with no issues.

The Z Axis is working, but I have not connected it to the ball screw yet.  Working on the eStop - Gecko integration first, I do not want the spindle head to slam down if the driver fails.  The Z Axis brake is functional and working with eStop, just want to get some confidence first before going live.

Thanks,
JH

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/QiVjo3Pr9qE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6&amp;border=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/QiVjo3Pr9qE&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6&amp;border=1</a>

Below are the high tech encoder covers
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 02:20:17 PM by JHChoppers »

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2010, 02:41:14 PM »
 ;D That's what I call hillbilly engineering at its finest! Somebody had "a little captain in 'em" when that light bulb flashed overhead.  :D  Looks great, Joel. I bet it feels good to see some movement.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 03:21:03 AM »
What is your acceleration set at on the x and y axis?  What are the specs of the servo motors?  Have you had any luck with the spindle orientation?
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 12:57:50 PM »
The acceleration is set to 15 for both the X and Y using the 100CPR/400PPR encoders.  I am still turning the Z so its not final as of yet, still working on interfacing eStop with the drivers as time permits.

The servos are the stock BP412 ones with new encoders.

Have not started on the Spindle Orientation.

Thanks,
JH
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »
Hi JH, I wanted to ask if you used the original driver of the machine, if so, could share information about them since I have such a machine and I'm thinking of doing the conversion. Excuse my English but I am doing for a translator as they only understand Spanish.

Thanks
Mod-Mec

Offline Jackal

•  169 169
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2010, 01:57:30 AM »
JH,
That sure is looking good. I'm following and taking notes.

JAckal ;D
Everything is bio-degradable if you run over it enough with a lawnmower.
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »
JH,
That sure is looking good. I'm following and taking notes.

JAckal ;D

Thanks Jackal!   

Its been slow getting time to work on the BP 412 Project, Spring and Summer keeps me busy working on bike and parts.  I should get time as Summer starts to roll off.

Thanks,
JH
Tool Changer Update
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 11:57:42 AM »
It’s been several months since I worked on the VMC.  The Tool Changer Carousel has been on my mind since we added the stepper to control it.  The stock changer used a large AC motor that was “broken” we got the machine…. or was it?  After doing some work this summer on some other AC motor systems, one having a bad starter capacitor, made me think, was the starting capacitor bad? 

After digging out the old Tool Changer Carousel Motor (pack rat) and getting a fresh 3uF starting cap… the old motor works great !!! 

The stepper motor used (3) digital outputs, Step, Dir and Enable and the AC motor only needed (2) Dir and Enable.  From the video below, the performance of much better than before and uses (1) less IO line.  We control the direction based on how the starting capacitor is wired during before it’s connected to power.

Thanks
JH

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nvGSRYS_9nI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6&amp;border=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nvGSRYS_9nI&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6&amp;border=1</a>

X Y Z Servo Motor Update
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2010, 05:37:52 PM »
After setting for a several months, the Y Axis was faulting again.  I was generally pleased with the Gecko Drives and Stock Servos with the new digital encoders, however, the performance should be better on the this machine.  After slowing down the acceleration and speed profile again to prevent the fault, I have decided to scrap the current X Y Z plan… 

We been evaluating a NEW match set of 30 in/LB 750 Watt AC Servo/Driver from MachMotion.com  So far this system has been working great on the bench and we just connected it to the Y Axis.  Using the software provided by the Servo Driver Manufacture, we are able to move the Y Axis better than we have before.  Below is a picture of the new AC servo and the machining of the mounting bracket to fit it to the machine: