Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:40:26 PM

Author Topic: Temperature Control via Mach3  (Read 5716 times)

Offline wil

•  29 29
    • View Profile
Temperature Control via Mach3
« on: December 06, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »
Hi guys.
Has anyone managed to get Mach3 to control a heating device ?
I`m trying to design and build a simple water heating system.

Tank 1 - the liquid is heated to 70 deg Celsius and held there for an adjustable time period, around 1-2 hours.
            I`d like the 70 deg to be held within a 2 degree variation.

Tank 2 - the liquid is brought to the boil and then maintains a slow boil for around 1 hr.

I know how to use Mach to switch on relays which could turn on heater elements, or even use a stepper motor
to control an analogue rotary switch to set a specific temperature, but is there any way to get realtime sensor probes
to report back into Mach3 which in turn will switch on/off the heating elements.

thanks for any help.

Offline rcrabb

•  146 146
    • View Profile
Re: Temperature Control via Mach3
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 01:39:36 PM »
Im sure it is possible. Strange use for Mach3. I would recomend using a basic stamp from parallax. http://www.parallax.com/
Ryan
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 01:41:15 PM »
Wil,

Seems like a rather inappropriate use of Mach3.  Buy one of these:  http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=81  I put one on the oven I use for thermo-forming Plexiglas, and powder-coating - just a basic Kitchen oven with minor modifications.  With an internal fan to "stir" the air, I get less than +/-2F variation over the entire volume of the oven.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline KTM

•  92 92
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 01:43:44 PM »
I think the easiest way will be to use a modbus temperature controller

Regards
KTM

Offline wil

•  29 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 02:25:54 PM »
I want to use Mach3 because I will be controlling stepper motors and other relays.
I was hoping to create a dedicated Mach screenset for the different functions, and basically want to
have one single software/control system running the whole process.
A G-code program will start/stop and hopefully interact with the sensors to adjust working parameters.
They are selling real neat little USB thermometers which can log the data. if I could somehow use a vb or a brain script
to read and report the contents of the log file

Hi Ray, that sparkfun product looks great and talking about forming Plexiglas, would it be possible to create a 180 degree u bend
using 3 inch clear polycarb tubing ?

@KTM  thanks mate I will have a look a modbus cause if I remember right there is a modbus 3rd party add on.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 02:30:25 PM by wil »

Offline rcrabb

•  146 146
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 02:33:18 PM »
If you can bring the temp data in via modbus, why not? There is a guy using Mach to wind wire coils. I think I also seen at one time someone using it to cut wire int preset lenght. Find a way to get your temp data into Mach and your half way there.
Ryan
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 11:03:01 PM »
I want to use Mach3 because I will be controlling stepper motors and other relays.
I was hoping to create a dedicated Mach screenset for the different functions, and basically want to
have one single software/control system running the whole process.
A G-code program will start/stop and hopefully interact with the sensors to adjust working parameters.
They are selling real neat little USB thermometers which can log the data. if I could somehow use a vb or a brain script
to read and report the contents of the log file

Hi Ray, that sparkfun product looks great and talking about forming Plexiglas, would it be possible to create a 180 degree u bend
using 3 inch clear polycarb tubing ?

@KTM  thanks mate I will have a look a modbus cause if I remember right there is a modbus 3rd party add on.

No reason you couldn't do a temp controller as a macropump.  It doesn't require high-rate control.  If doing a constant temperature, all you need is a single digital input that indicates when you're at, or above, your set temperature.

My Plexiglas forming experience is limited to vacuum forming 1/4" sheet.  Never messed with tube, and hope I never have to.  It's not easy stuff to work with.  I will tell you temperature control is *critical*.  There's a very fine line between too cool, which creates stress concentrations, and too hot, which results in lousy surface finish.  There is a nice PDF on the Rohm-Haas site with all the gruesome details on how to handle Plexi.  But don't expect it to be easy.  Doing it well is very difficult.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.