Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 08:02:42 AM

Author Topic: Mach the toolmaker  (Read 5044 times)

Mach the toolmaker
« on: December 15, 2009, 07:25:05 AM »
Chisel Plane....
Re: Mach the toolmaker
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 07:32:55 AM »
Looks great Bill !
Monogrammed to boot ?
Did you make the blade too ? Or is it off the shelf ?
What is the actual width ?
Would make a sweet gift for a wood worker.
Welcome back,
RC

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 07:49:25 AM »
Nice work. Are you going to use the plane?
RICH
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 09:01:17 AM »
The blade is a 1- 5/8 'Ron Hock' that actually measures 1.593" so the body of the plane is about 8 thousandths narrower. I used brass for the body - kind of soft but will not chip and break as easily as cast iron... The rest of the parts are 304 stainless steel. I made this one for a friend to finish up himself but will probably make one for myself.

These planes are extremely handy but also extremely dangerous since that razor sharp blade is right out there totally exposed. I have nicks on my hands from working on it - not even with it. They're perfect for trimming dovetails, laminates, plugs and similar right up into a corner.

I have the programs for the body if anyone is interested in making one. There are three programs: roughing -1/4 flat EM, a finish - 1/4 ball. then a fine finish - 1/4 ball. Probably the rough and fine finish would be good depending on how much time one is willing to devote to making the plane - .005 steps...Set the pre-sized stock in the vice by the bottom .125 or so, set to the left end topside and let her go....

Thanks
Bill C.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 05:12:10 PM »
Thats great Bill. Fantastic work. Your friend must really be happy. Good stuff.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »
I should mention that the 'monogram' is not in the programs for the body. I came up with that specifically for this plane as an afterthought - to keep this 'friend' from alluding that he made the plane. It needed something in those blank areas anyhow!

Bill C.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,199 9,199
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 03:21:29 AM »
Very nice work Bill, especially the monogram.

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 06:28:44 AM »
Thanks! (a little competition for the 'HOCK' logo on the blade)

This friend was setting about making one of these out of wood and with a 20 degree blade angle. I was initially asked to make the blade cap and a means to tighten the blade to the wood body. The thought was that the blade would slip on the wood, something else was needed. So after spending CAD time with that, it was about as easy to go ahead and make the whole dang thing. And it was a rainy weekend...

I like to watch this CNC mill work and enjoy the sound of an endmill chewing. It get me into trouble now and then.

Bill C.