Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:35:50 AM

Author Topic: Projecting to plane?  (Read 10661 times)

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
Re: Projecting to plane?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2006, 11:32:34 AM »
Now that makes sense.I guess then the trick is how to index the information contained in each circle of interest.Maybe one circle per layer?

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2006, 12:08:09 PM »
This is an example of the old way we used to do things.

See picture attached.

1.  Original image centered about X and Y zero.

2.  Circles drawn at a known pitch.

3.  Pick 2 circles to work between.

4.  Remove all the bits inside inner circle and remove all outside outer circle.

5.  The bit we machine and generate Gcode for.

6.  work out the drop using trig and add this to the Z created in the Gcode.

This is not the perfect way to do it but it works well enough for most jobs.

Regards

Graham
Without engineers the world stops
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2006, 12:15:08 PM »
I was thinking this could be done with a wizard :) But the more I think about it a cam system would be the best.... I think you would need to have this in C++ as VB would be a little slow. I am going to have to think about this, is this something that many of you would use?

Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2006, 12:25:44 PM »
I gottcha ,Graham.I like this way and since what I want is high contrast ,any discontinuity will just be part of the randomness.What I think I would do is  outline the high contrasted image in Rhino.Draw the circles and then 'trim' the first area of interest and save it as a layer and then continue to isolate each circle and save as another layer this way,generate the gcode from importing it as a DXF and then do the trig to insert into each layer's z-cut.Thanks a million.-Keith

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,668 2,668
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2006, 12:35:24 PM »
Hi Keith,

Glad to be of help.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Vmax

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2006, 05:02:44 PM »
There you go, Good job guys. Ifyou keep the z and circles into perspective it will look very good.  (:~)= Terry

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2006, 05:05:38 PM »
Good going Terry,I didn't see your earlier post,I needed an excuse to buy that probe I've wanted,for a while.Merry Xmas to me! Seriously that is so cheating but I WANT THAT PROBE!!!-Keith

Vmax

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2006, 07:49:55 PM »
I have an IMservices TP-100 combo probe. It is an interesting economical unit. Works very well for the low cost. A touch probe and tool setup probe rolled into 1.

(:~)= Terry

Offline Keith

•  187 187
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2006, 07:55:16 PM »
Yeah that's the unit I was drooling over.I just went over board this year with all sorts of new equipment but it's high on the 'next to buy' list.I think that tool setup extra makes it a bargain ,too-Keith

Vmax

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 08:06:06 PM »
Brian I don't know about the sphere milling, but I do need a wizard for making cookie cutter dies. Now DON'T LAUGH. Let me explain.

I take a picture of the object you want a cutter/die made to look like. I then bring that picture into AUTOCAD as a base layer. Then I create layers and outline the basic shape and then outline the highlights. I then assign each layer a z height and DXFout the drawing.
What I need is a wizard to cut out all the flat relief areas. Now I have to sit and program out each section or just manually cut it out when the basic shape outlines are finished.
Just getting old and lazy thats all. I really am getting to like conversational programming such as your wizzards.

(:~)= Terry