Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:25:17 AM

Author Topic: Lathe spindle index quit working  (Read 9904 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe spindle index quit working
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2008, 02:45:34 PM »
OK with you taping the wire fast maybe it was just so fast the LED didnt have time to go off/on, well not the LED as such but just  the graphics couldnt keep up. If you try that again what do you see in the RPM DRO?
Hood

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 03:01:22 PM »
Hi Hood
I just checked it again. If I tap slowly it holds about 150 rpm. As i pickup speed it increases to the 350 range. After that it starts jumping around going from 700 to 200 up to 1000.

Derek

Offline SimonD

•  143 143
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 03:33:43 PM »
Out of curiosity have you tried removing the Rutex motherboard? You said that you have this on Port 2 and are using a CNC4PC C23 card on port 1. The C23 card is designed to use both LPT1 and LPT2, I wonder if it is confused because it isn't connected to a second port?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 03:35:00 PM »
Sounds like it might be right, obviously the slower you tap the more consistent you can do it, as you go faster its more erratic. Can you try connecting your index up directly to the port and spinning the spindle by powering it so its revolving at a consistent speed?
Hood

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 03:41:42 PM »
Hi Simon
Actually I'm running the C11 which is a single port.
Derek

[
Out of curiosity have you tried removing the Rutex motherboard? You said that you have this on Port 2 and are using a CNC4PC C23 card on port 1. The C23 card is designed to use both LPT1 and LPT2, I wonder if it is confused because it isn't connected to a second port?

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 03:47:11 PM »
I just ordered a Campbell combo breakout board. I'll install it and see if I get better results. I'll post whatever results (hopefully positive) when I get it hooked up. I needed to replace this board for a while now. I know others have been extremely happy with CNC4PC cards and maybe mines just a lemon but this thing has given me problems one way or another for a while now. I just didn't want to spend the bucks for a new card.

I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks again Derek 

Sounds like it might be right, obviously the slower you tap the more consistent you can do it, as you go faster its more erratic. Can you try connecting your index up directly to the port and spinning the spindle by powering it so its revolving at a consistent speed?
Hood
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 06:07:37 PM »
Derek,

I am sorry you are having this problem.  You never contacted me with inquiry about this.

What is the part number of the sensor you are using?  I believe it could have an open collector connection, so it requires a pull-up resistor to work with the inputs of the C11.  Are you using a pull-up resistor?

If the sensor has +5vdc output, then the value of the pull-up should be something around 100 to 150 ohms.

Please let me know how it goes.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 09:15:26 PM »
Hi Arturo
PM sent.

Derek,

I am sorry you are having this problem.  You never contacted me with inquiry about this.

What is the part number of the sensor you are using?  I believe it could have an open collector connection, so it requires a pull-up resistor to work with the inputs of the C11.  Are you using a pull-up resistor?

If the sensor has +5vdc output, then the value of the pull-up should be something around 100 to 150 ohms.

Please let me know how it goes.

Arturo Duncan
http://cnc4pc.com

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2009, 12:13:50 PM »
Derek, did you ever solve this problem?

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2009, 01:23:25 PM »
I ended up going with the Cambell board. worked like a champ.

Derek