Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 12:41:15 PM

Author Topic: Strange Things with Mach  (Read 13122 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Strange Things with Mach
« on: June 23, 2007, 11:38:20 AM »
Just two, "Different" uses for Mach:

Here are Two, Programmable Target range screen shots I did for a client in GA, for a Police/swat indoor shooting range one 25yrs, one 100yrd rifle.
Unfortunatly, he was one of those guys who never knew what he wants, and expected you to make the changes for free.
Even though I built the ranges to his written spec, he claims I "should have known" to add this, or that, or make this work like
this or that. Even though I have never built a target range in my life, only CNC machines. He still owes me money. he had the completed working controls
at his house, setting on his pool table for 3 MONTHS, more than enough time for him to play with them, and see what he wanted changed!!
Word to the Wise:  If you are ever contracted for a job, Make the client pay for each change as you go, and have them sign and re-write
the spec to take that into acount, +time and materials............

The screens have "Turners, and 2 "running men" on tracks the 10 man has "decision makers also", both where built using a VB wizard, and controlled a down range PLC, and servo drives over a 485 serial network.  Each programming screen had, a main programming page to pogram both turners, and runners, one for turners only, and one for runners only.
Many Thanks to "Ed Gilbert" of Gilber Engineered systems, (the Yoda of PLC's), who heavily revised my PLC code to be able to retain in memory the upto 25 steps so the turners could be stepped through backwards for an alabi. Also, I heavly relied on his AWSOME 24 bit, high speed optos cards to be able to jack up the voltage across the 485, so I could do control at the far distances.
These screens totally "Maxed out" the Ports and pins on inputs and outputs, I had to write to undefined I/O throut the modbuss as well, when I ran out.
The VB behind each screen averaged out to about 20 pages. Had about 60 hours per screen.

Anyway here are the screen shots.

Scott
fun times

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Things with Mach
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 08:53:09 PM »
Good job Scott.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,673 2,673
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 05:43:19 AM »
Very interesting.

Graham.
Without engineers the world stops

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 03:32:47 PM »
wow that is cool! Great advice.

Offline mhdale

•  130 130
  • Knowledge is the Treasure.
    • View Profile
    • Black Dragon Technologies
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 08:54:03 PM »
Scott,
 Great advice, I too am dealing with a client who had NO idea what to ask for and I have the feeling that getting paid and not holding thier hands for the next ten years is going to be a challenge. I too have a situation where I am maxing out the I/O and its is looking like I will need to implement a Mod Bus Solution as well, would it be allright to contact you regarding the MODBUS?

Thanks

Mike

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 09:03:48 PM »
Yea, no problem, My expertise is using modbus in conjunction with Automation Direct (Koyo), PLC's (analog, Highspeed counter/servo modules, extra I/O)....so, if you are interfacing with something other than a PLC, I can only help you on the Mod-bus section.

Email me at: (remove the "at" and replace it with "@")

PoppaBear"at"hughes.net

Scott
fun times