Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:46:57 PM

Author Topic: Index / timing 032  (Read 4136 times)

Index / timing 032
« on: November 21, 2009, 01:06:39 PM »
Hello All
I'm nearing the end of a lathe conversion and just upgraded to .032 and brought all of my existing settings over due to some of the issues I was encountering during threading.

When I turned on the spindle (VFD via C11G controller) my readings blank on actual RPM.

I checked and changed the input signal from timing to index in the ports and pins (it was in timing in .029, working fine)

Now I got a reading but they were way off on the actual vs commanded. (I didn't check but probably 8 times higher)
I started to recal the spindle when I noticed that it was seeing all input pulse but registering them as 1 per rev., I remember reading in a post that index should only be one per rev.

My disk is on the spindle and has 8 slots (optical sensor) with one slot much larger than the others as per the manual. It was working in timing mode but now that i've had to switch it over to index I've had to tape the other slots all over to  get mach to read proper speed.

I can make a new timing disk with only a single slot but I'm just wondering what happened / changed and it it will affect something else somewhere (ie threading)

Any thoughts or input??
Thanks
Mooser

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Index / timing 032
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 01:40:16 PM »
Timing has been removed due to the fix in threading part of Turn. You can only use Index as you have discovered.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 03:19:38 PM »
Bummer
I've been playing and can't seem to get it to deal with the 8 notches so I guess it's back to a single notch in the encoder then. (crap, just made it last week too)
Thanks for the quick response
Mooser

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 05:07:33 PM »
Single index works just fine and nothing a little tape can't cure if you want to get read of the others.
RICH
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 05:35:24 PM »
Yup
The disk is taped over, just re-calibrated everything. Re-tuning the motors.
Thread testing tomorrow I think (I need to figure out wy every now and then the Z-axis seems to stall (steppers buzz, DRO's move but not the carriage) Maybe just reduce the acceleration some. )
Thanks
Mooser

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 05:39:40 PM »
Suggest you tune your motors quite well before trying threading and make sure you leave some headroom / power on the Z axis for the actual cutting. You may want to have a look at "Threading On the The Lathe " write up located in the Members Docs .
RICH
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 05:58:53 PM »
Thanks
The Z will go up to 130ipm with an acc of 75, ran like a hundred cycles of anywhere from .1 to 15" with little probems but once in a while it would "stall" for no apparent reason
I've dialed down to 100 ipm with an acc of 25
I've been through the threading doc and I've performed the tests, everything looks good (finders crossed)
I've got several codes to work through, Mastercam X2, simple thread wizard and a manual G76 version. Time will tell
Thanks Again
Mooser