Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 06:14:36 PM

Author Topic: re reference after e stop/limit switch  (Read 5550 times)

re reference after e stop/limit switch
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:50:02 AM »
I tried searching but no concrete answer. When any one of the three Viper drives E-stop the system, or hitting a limit switch, all three axes lose their green reference LED's then all three axes need to be re referenced. Why not just the one that screwed up??  P.S. Thanks again for a fantastic product as well as un-believeable support. The best! Wayne

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: re reference after e stop/limit switch
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 02:31:31 AM »
It will depend on how you have things set up to react to a drive fault signal. If you have one axis fault and it causes Mach to do a reset then chances are you have lost position on the other axis as well as they have stopped moving abruptly without deceleration.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 09:09:42 AM »
Is there a way to change the settings in Mach?  Only 1 axis needs to be moving and it resets all three. Thanks again, Wayne

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:21:47 AM »
How have you got the signal from the drives connected to Mach?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
The step direction and 5V from the campbell board are connected to the drives and I have the drives wired to an unused limit input, and the drives will trip the e-stop when they error but will not reset the home led's.  I tried it today and without anything moving, just simply pushing any of the six limit switches un-homes all three axes on the  machine. I suppose I need to go through the setup videos and try to understand more of the options settings in the configuration of Mach. I can hit a limit switch on my router and it doesn't do anything with the homing. Thanks again, Wayne

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 07:39:09 AM »
If you have it configured in at the E-Stop then it will definitely mean you need to re-reference all axis. Why not use Input 1 and set it up as the Safety Lockout, you will find that on the lower left of the General Config page. If you do that then what happens is when that input becomes active Mach stops code running until it goes inactive. You will still need to reference any axis that was in motion when a drive faulted but not all. In fact Mach wont even force you to re-reference the axis but it will have very likely lost position so it is only wise to do so.
Having said all that it is good practice to re-reference all axis if there is even the slightest chance that they could be out of position but thats up to you and to a lesser extent the type of work you do as it may not need the accuracy.
 This then brings the other question up, why are the drives faulting in the first place?

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 07:58:20 AM »
Also meant to say, setting up soft limits should help a lot in that Mach should never let you hit the real limits unless you have lost position for some reason.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 08:01:37 AM »
The drives aren't faulting now because I have them tuned better than before. I was trying to run >250IPM with a big machine and even though more than that is easily possible, I need to mess with the tuning before I can crank it up. My main query is why when everything is setting still, pushing a limit switch will un home all three axes, but on my router, with soft limits disabled, hitting a limit only stops Mach from running the code. Maybe it is configured differently in that respect and that is what I am used to. I realize it would be better to re home on any out of parameter situation. Maybe I'll just stick with that mindset and continue setting up soft limits to keep that from happening, because hitting a soft limit doesn't lose home position.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 08:02:31 AM »
I totally agree and Thanks again for your help. Wayne

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 08:06:53 AM »
As said above setting the fault input as Input 1 will not need  re-referencing but still good to do it on any axis that was in motion at the time.
Hood