Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:37:20 AM

Author Topic: Source for servo motors  (Read 3973 times)

Source for servo motors
« on: November 17, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
Does anyone have a good source for servo motors and encoders?  Looking for something that would be compatible with the Gecko servo drives, so less than 80V, 20A.  Thanks
Re: Source for servo motors
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »
Does anyone have a good source for servo motors and encoders?  Looking for something that would be compatible with the Gecko servo drives, so less than 80V, 20A.  Thanks

www.homeshopcnc.com
www.kelinginc.com

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline simpson36

•  1,369 1,369
    • View Profile
Re: Source for servo motors
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 02:24:33 PM »
You don't need to worry a lot about matching the voltages and amps precisely.

i.e. you can run a 90V motor on 80V and vice verse. The drive limits the current, so you can use a motor that is rated higher than your drive.

For servo motors, you can pretty much ignore the 'continuous' rating unless you are running a conveyor or some similar truly continuous duty mechanism. For a typical CNC machine tool, I suggest using only the peak numbers for your calculations.

Note this applies to servo motors only. Steppers are altogether different animals.

I am using both Keling and HomeshopCNC servo motors. The NEMA23 motors peak at 20 and are a good match for the Gecko. The Homeshop versions seem to be better quality, but that's based only on a single motor from them, so take with a grain.