Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:43:30 AM

Author Topic: new hermes vanguard 5000 controlling  (Read 7719 times)

new hermes vanguard 5000 controlling
« on: November 04, 2009, 06:37:58 PM »
I recently picked up a new hermes vanguard 5000 i have two of the machines and a control pc but the old software is too limiting,  I want to set it up with mach3.  I noticed the back of the machine has a parallel connector, can I just hook this up to my pc?  Has anyone messed with one of these before and maybe have some insight.  I am not totally helpless with electronics but thats about it.  I have working knowledge of g-code and cnc running.  Please help point me in the right direction.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: new hermes vanguard 5000 controlling
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 06:42:28 PM »
Do a search for hermes, I seem to recall seeing it mentioned before.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2009, 07:00:25 PM »
there is some info on hermes, but not this particular model.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »
We bought a second hand Hermes Vanguard machine some time ago. It had its own controller too - however, we don't use it.

I am quite sure that the existing control circuitry would be very difficult to setup with Mach 3 - I have found no information available on the internet. There is a good chance that the parallel port is uniquely wired (not to the standard).

What we did was just take the wires from the stepper motors and limit switches (some rewiring (extending of wires) had to be done to the unit underneath), and connected them directly to our own driver board, which we made up with components from http://www.kelinginc.net/, however, we will soon be converting to a smaller design using the GeckoDrive G540 (http://www.geckodrive.com/product.aspx?i=14469) – this also does not require an isolated 5V power supply like the boards from Keling do. We are planning to use the SmoothStepper as well.

We discarded all the old controller circuitry. Connected to a Pentium 4 PC with Windows XP and a parallel port, the machine is running very well.

Another thing is that the machine had a 120VAC motor on there for the tool holder. We also removed this, and replaced it with a motor from an old battery drill (of course, we had to redesign the tool holder as well) – however, this is not that powerful, and is very noisy. We are going to try a brushless motor, and add a vacuum system to get rid of the dust. We are just planning to cut PCBs and shapes out of wood. I am not sure if the machine is powerful enough to handle aluminium – the steppers are only rated at 1.5A.

Sorry, I cannot remember the model number of our unit.

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 10:30:51 AM »
I have been doing conversions to the New Hermes controllers.  You can check out my web page at www.amelectron.com

I have done conversions on 3400, 3000 & a 7000,  the conversion consists of removing the existing motherboard in the EP controller and a daughter card.
Then rewiring the parallel port to connect directly into the motor driver board.

You don't have to buy new drivers.

Arnie