Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:20:38 AM

Author Topic: Z-axis motor tuning problem - resets to 0 automatically (Smoothstepper)  (Read 9267 times)

Offline Bfive

•  13 13
    • View Profile
Hi,

I have a new installation of Mach3 (lastest version R3.042.031) and my Motor Tuning for Z-axis resets to 0 as soon as I touch the slider bar or input a number. The X and Y axes work fine but the Z axis starts at the default value of 120 mm/min Velocity and 4 mm/sec^2 Acceleration, then as soon as I touch the slider the blue line on the graph disappears and no matter what I do - input a value or adjust the sliders - the blue line never returns to the graph and the Velocity and Acceleration values stay at 0. Any idea what's wrong? As it is I can't tune the Z-axis.

Thanks!!

Edit: Problem occurs only with Smoothstepper, not with Printer Driver.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 12:54:13 AM by Bfive »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Z-axis motor tuning problem - resets to 0 automatically
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 02:57:19 AM »
Can you attach your xml please.
Hood

Offline Bfive

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 02:55:08 PM »
Also, I'm using Smoothstepper.

I've attached my XML file.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 12:18:45 PM by Bfive »

Offline Bfive

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 03:02:49 PM »
Another thing I discovered: When I run Mach3 under Normal Printer Port Operation, the Z-axis motor tuning works fine. However when I run it with the Smoothstepper driver (beta2_v015ogx) the problem appears.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 05:23:52 PM »
Afraid all I can see is that something is screwed in the xml, as you don't have much set up (only motors so far) then I think you would be best just making another profile.
Hood

Offline Bfive

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 07:55:18 PM »
Hood,

Thanks for your help. I've tried making new XML files, still getting the same problem. It's weird.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Z-axis motor tuning problem - resets to 0 automatically (Smoothstepper)
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2009, 02:17:20 AM »
That is strange indeed. I loaded your xml and had the problem, looked but couldn't find the issue so decided I would just make a new xml with the settings you had and it was fine.
 Maybe a reinstall of Mach is needed for you.
 Also if you have more than one SmoothStepper plugin loaded it might be an idea to delete them as occasionally people have had problems when more than one plugin has been present.
Hood
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:18:53 AM by Hood »

Offline Bfive

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:18:02 AM »
Hood, thanks for the suggestion to reinstall Mach. I uninstalled, deleted any leftover files in C:\Mach3\ and reinstalled. Along with the newest Mach and driver versions, the problem seems to have gone away. Now I can focus on actually getting the Smoothstepper to work... it doesn't do anything with the same exact XML that works perfectly with the printer port. Not sure where to go from here... I'll post in the Smoothstepper forum.

Thanks again

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 04:22:22 AM »
Have you chosen to use the SmoothStepper rather than the printer port?
Also there is a newer version of Mach and the SS plugin, Art had made changes to the threading part of Mach and that screwed up a few things in the rest of Mach and also interfered with the SmoothStepper plugin.
Hood

Offline Bfive

•  13 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2009, 04:35:21 AM »
Hood,
Yes I selected the Smoothstepper plug-in on start up of Mach3.

Do you know which versions are compatible? I'm using Mach3 R3.042.032 (released Nov9), smoothstepper USBDriver2.04.16.zip and Plug-in Beta2_v015ogx2.m3p (released Nov7). The problem I'm having now is two of my drives do not enable, the third one enables but does not move. I didn't change anything to the working XML.

Thanks