Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 07:16:25 PM

Author Topic: What is a Macro? and what can it do for me?  (Read 50961 times)

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: What is a Macro? and what can it do for me?
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 05:05:46 AM »
I did the activate/deactivate thing.

Whatever that means.

Post the M3 macro you tried.

Offline Val

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 06:13:24 AM »
here they are

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 06:16:26 AM »
so how much of the thread I linked to did you actually read?

Offline Val

•  10 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 09:46:23 AM »
all of it, but now that you ask, it seems I didn't understand all. Again, I'm seeking help for these 2 problems:
1. the torch doesn't always turn off at the end of the cut and instead starts diving
2. sometimes misses a cut because the torch doesn't turn on at the beginning of the cut but the movement continues like it were on

I thought you suggested  the M3 and M5 "dospin type" are not fast enough and this is the cause. I thought you recommended using activate deactivate type macros. I tried that but it was worse.
I use a Proma THC.
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2021, 12:28:15 PM »
1st Time posting here.

Macros are for doing many things that can be complicated and tiresome to create. Every single G and M code is a macro that cause the machine as you all know to do different things. The great thing about Macros is there is no limit to what you can create from engraving to tool setting. But you have to have a great deal of experience and it takes a lot of time to learn and execute.

I have 40+ years of working in machine shops working on equipment and programming it. Macro's are the most difficult task there is in programming of course a lot of that depends on how complicated the Macro. Then there are different forms of macro programming and more and more builders are developing their own language when it comes to macros. For instance Fanuc uses the most common form used Macro B's but as I said companies like Fagor have their own language when it comes to macros.  And still more companies are writing Macros for use in their machines so operators can do things with the machine that in the past they couldn't even contemplate doing.

Macro's are every G code and every M code you use in a machine control. That said there is less and less need to be able to write Macro's like I said the builders are writing them and giving them away with their machines. To the point of using them as a sales point. I would stick to being really good with G code and even that takes a lot of time to become good at.

I have written lots of Macro's and post processors over the years I like doing it because it gives me a tool that someone else may not have, so I gain an advantage or used too. That said like I said more and more builders are supplying their machines loaded with tons of Macros so the need to be able to write Macro's for the daily programmer or user isn't really needed much any more. Still a powerful tool. By the time you learn them and write them it's likely someone will give them to you for nothing.