Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 10:39:24 PM

Author Topic: New Mach3 v4 VB Interface  (Read 10538 times)

Re: New Mach3 v4 VB Interface
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 08:08:39 PM »
Thanks Ray,

*** SetButtonText has always been there, but probably never documented.  GetButtonText is new.
:)

*** I will ask, but my guess is the answer is "no".  OnPress, of course, you already have - the button script.

The main one to add for the buttons would be on release. Brian had said in the past he would add that function so hopefully it will be included. The others were just wishful thinking. As it is right now you can add a system function jog button that works as it should, but from VB you have to add a stop jog button which leaves a lot to be desired IMO. I never suggest a jog button be done from VB as it is now. Maybe this could be handled with a function (sysfunction&) and add VB to it? Some of the system functions versus VB do quirky things and maybe this would be a good option to handle that. I always prefer system functions to VB but if you want your buttons to do more than one thing you have to do them in VB. The jog stop on release is just one example but I think that function would add a lot of flexability (more than sysfunction&). Mouse is over would be great for interactive training screens but I knew when I mentioned it it was a stretch.  ;D

*** DoSpinCW() should not have been in there.  DoSpinCW and DoSpinCCW are replaced by SpindleOn(DIR).
Thanks for clearing that up.  :)

*** All these are already accessible via OEM LEDs. I did not see the point in adding explicit functions for things that are available in OEM LEDs and DROs
Fair enough. Why are these (Sub SetIJIncremental(Boolean), Function IsIJIncremental() As Boolean)worthy of having their on functions and these (SetIJABS, IsIJABS) aren't?

I think that any DRO or tick box in any and all config. pages should have associated DROs and LEDs that you can at least read and as many as possible that you can read/write to from VB would be great.

*** I looked at all the config stuff, and couldn't see any real value in making it VB accessible.  Any examples of some that would be really useful, and for what?
I can't remember now what I was wanting to monitor and act on from VB at the moment. But then again there are quite a few I have had no need for in the past but I suppose someone has. It would also help with consistency IMO. Would certainly be able to build one heck of a diagnostics page though.  ;D

Thanks,
Brett

Brett,

I will pass all your requests along to Brian, and see what he says.  I certainly agree it would be nice to have the OnRelease calls for buttons.  My own experience is pretty limited, so it's hard for me to know what's really useful and what's not, unless it's something I've needed myself.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:24:01 PM »
Thanks Ray. Yup, the on release is a biggie I think. Think momentary switch. Lots of uses for those.

My own experience is pretty limited, so it's hard for me to know what's really useful and what's not, unless it's something I've needed myself.

I think that is true for all of us. That is the biggest reason I suggested all config. DROs and LEDs be accessable. I have already seen lots of wild applications Mach is being used in. Who knows what some creative individual will come up with next. If they are made accessable now and if any new ones added be addressed then no one will have to request it later or be limited. 

Thanks again Ray, all of these changes going into rev 4 will be a huge improvement IMO. Creation, additions, documentation, customization, design limitations, and every day use will all benefit I'm sure.
Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 10:29:13 PM »
Id like to see a way get a VB Sub attached to each DRO that would be called when the DRO is changed by the user.

In almost every wizard screen the user can update a bunch of DRO's then finally pushes a'write code' button. Then I have to run through all the DROs to be sure they are valid and pop up error messages.

It would be much cleaner if when the user tried to change a DRO I could instantly error check it and popup an error then, while hes still looking at the DRO.

The VB code would not be run if the system changed the DRO value, or if some other VB code changed the DRO- only when a user enters a new value.