Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 01:55:25 AM

Author Topic: No Movement  (Read 6688 times)

No Movement
« on: October 12, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »
I have wired and rechecked everything and have watched the tutorial videos till i couldnt see straight and I still cant get any motor movement. I am using the motiontek 3 axis kit. any diagnostic help would be greatly appreciated. I know im doing something stupid I just cant see it. Thanks

Offline PSG

•  21 21
    • View Profile
Re: No Movement
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:19:16 PM »

It could be one of a bunch of things. If you look at the Mach manuals you will find a setup guide for Mach3. That may help.

Starting at what "I" believe may be the beginning, do you have the correct LTP address setup in Mach?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:25:14 PM »
Yes, I triple checked the address. Is there any way I can tell if there is communication between my pc and controller

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 04:32:32 AM »
The output from your parallel port to your controller can be checked quite easily by downloading Fred's port monitor from here:-  http://www.geekhideout.com/parmon.shtml
Pins can be toggled from the monitor and the results should be translated to your machine.

Hope this helps,

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 12:50:02 PM »
that site really helped but I'm more confused now. when I toggle high and low my voltage changes perfectly. when I go into configure in the mock3 and change the port settings high and low it changes also, but when I jog I only read about .02 volts different on my meter. It seems as mach3 is not outputting the correct signal?

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,194 9,194
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »
I could be a number of things, your configuration settings, your controller or your interconnection wiring but one thing you can be certain of is that it is not is Mach3 itself.

Could you step a motor by toggling the relevant step pin using Parmon ?.
Can you rotate any of your motors by hand when the machine is powered up ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 01:58:47 PM »
If you are meaning the voltage from the Step pins then you will never see the full 5v as it is a pulse so your meter will only see the average. The faster the pulse rate the higher the voltage will be. To see it properly you will need an osciliscope.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 02:35:01 PM »
I have tried pulsing it with the parmon with no results. I understand what you are saying about the voltage not being a constant 5 volts, but I would expect it to be  a bit higher than .02 increase, however I do have a scope so I will try that next. I spoke with motiontek the company I purchased the kit from and they are going to email me the mach3 settings for this kit. I am holding out hope that I screwed something up in the settings. Thanks again for all your help and ideas, with out this kind of forum support this hobby would be impossible.
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 07:46:02 PM »
well I am now back in town and have tested the system with my scope. I am getting a nice pulsed wave coming from my cable to my brake out board, but no signal from the board to the motor controllers. In the morning I'm going to contact motiontek again and see what they have to say. They have actually been great to work with so far in trying to diagnose this problem. If anyone has anymore thoughts or suggestions or diagnostic ideas please let me know. I'm sure I was not the first to have this problem and I dont think ill be the last.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 08:04:50 PM »
Afraid if the pulse is getting to the BOB but no further it can only be the BOB, unless there is an enable on the BOB which you have missed?
Hood