Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:46:34 AM

Poll

Your opinion of Vista.

I'll stay with my current OS for the moment.
9 (9.5%)
Good, but only a minor difference.
11 (11.6%)
I am undecided
7 (7.4%)
I'll stay with my current OS for the moment.
30 (31.6%)
I will never use Vista unless I am forced to.
17 (17.9%)
Typical Microsoft Crapware.
16 (16.8%)
I resent the Microsoft monopoly and greedyness, and will oppose it any way I can.
5 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Your opinion of Vista ?  (Read 22069 times)

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
Re: Your opinion of Vista ?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »
So to recap, you have found that Vista 'works' pretty much like XP, in that there are no drastic changes to the UI to hamper usability. And, in your opinion, that shows that is is just fluff?

Why not take a few minutes and actually do a bit of research into what IS new in Vista, before rambling on in ignorance? Not trying to pick a fight, it just kills me when people offer opinions on things they are ignorant of. I would suggest starting with http://channel9.msdn.com/, and then searching MSDN for whitepapers, etc.

Again, don't take me wrong, I'm not being mean, you seem like your probably a smart guy. Take some time, do a bit of research, and form an intelligent opinion on the matter. If you still find yourself not liking Vista, than great  :)
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 04:49:03 PM »
I never said that I did not like it, just that I found it, for what I use it for to be unimpressive.

I work with half a dozen application programs and don't really "use the OS". Most of the world is moving online making the "OS" mostly irrelevant. We probably have different definitions of OS.
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 05:02:07 PM »
I just checked out the MS Vista page at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/seeit/default.mspx and see very little that could not be done in XP and are things that I've had in other systems for years.
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2008, 03:46:13 AM »
Windows has always been bloatware. Microsoft tries to make an operating system that does everything for everybody -- whether they want it to or not. So as the new versions come out, the computer is forced by default Windows installation to run a whole bunch of routines just in case someone might want to use them. For XP you are advised to stop many of the processes that Windows want to run at startup if you want to run Mach. I set up my mill on a 1GHz computer running Windows 2000 and I disabled as much of the unnecessary processes as I could. It is a very clean machine. The thing I like about it is it works. It doesn't crash. Mach 3 runs without a hitch. Windows 2000 is much less encumbered by crapware than XP. Why would anyone even want to run an OS any more complicated than Win 2K? In my opinion, running anything else on a CNC controlling computer is a serious mistake and the computer should be dedicated to running the CNC machine. As far as Vista is concerned, it is trying to do things we don't need even more than XP. Another thing that makes Win 2K attractive is it doesn't require the Windows activation. It installs much cleaner than XP. There is no advantage I can think of to using a Windows version newer than 2K if you are dedicating the computer to a CNC machine. Vista is another of Microsoft's attempts to please all the people all the time and in that attempt they have opted to run an overabundance of processes that most of the people will never use and these processes only serve to hijack computer resources and possibly conflict with what you really want to do. I recently put together a Vista computer because I need to test my products to make sure they run on Vista. I find Vista to be very annoying, much like the way I found XP to be annoying until I learned how to trim it up. So far, there is nothing about Vista that appeals to me enough to make me want to use it for everyday computing over XP. For CNC I say keep it simple and run Win 2K on a dedicated machine. Oh yeah, and whatever OS you use don't connect to a LAN or the internet with your CNC machine while you are CNCing.
-Mark
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 04:01:14 PM »
I have a question, will mach3 run on a mac computer? and if so what are the requirments?
Thanks Ron

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 04:12:33 PM »
Answer 1: No, it will not run on a Mac
Answer 2: The requirements are to buy a PC  :)

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 04:23:14 PM »
Answer 1: No, it will not run on a Mac
Answer 2: The requirements are to buy a PC  :)

But the good news is that you don't need a brand new expensive PC. A computer with a 1GHz processor runs Mach quite well and you can probably find one used for dirt cheap or even free from friends or relatives that are buying a new, faster one. I use a 1GHz Dell that I got for $75 from Boeing Surplus (before they closed their retail store).
-Mark
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 05:31:11 PM »
Thanks Jeff. but I have three PC's was just a question

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 05:40:57 PM »
You should start out with a fresh install of Windows. There is an optimization guide available under the download tab on this site. It will tell you how to install Windows without the power saving features being turned on and give you other optimization tips as well.