Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:09:34 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 with PCMCIA  (Read 6450 times)

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
Mach3 with PCMCIA
« on: October 07, 2009, 06:44:25 PM »
This may have been asked before.  To run Mach3 and Controller Board(with Parallel Port Connector on it), am I correct that I only need a Parallel Port PCMCIA card?
Such as the SPPX-100 or SPPXP-100 from www.Quatech.com     Thanks, Ray   PS: The computer has no parallel port but does have a PCMCIA slot

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3 with PCMCIA
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 08:07:16 PM »
My bad.  After using the search (duh) to look up PCMCIA Card, I found a lot of much earlier posts.  But for present day info, would still like someone to check out the specs for the Express SPPXP-100 from www.Quatech.com and tell me if it might work.  Thanks again,  Ray

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 09:38:36 AM »
Thank you to the people that read this topic.  Due to lack of comment please remove this thread.  I thought it was a proper question it seems to be offensive to some.  Sorry about that.  I will research past topics on  the forum more before I ask questions.  Thanks, Ray
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 09:45:33 AM »
Hi Ray,
  I don't see anything offensive at all. But from what I've picked up from this forum about cards.....you really have to try one to be sure it will work.
Simpson posted 1 that seemed to work well.
HTH,
Russ

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 09:54:45 AM »
Thanks for the info Russ.  I was asking because one day my 8 year old Compaq notebook (I use that in my shop) will die and when I buy another notebook, it probably won't have a parallel port.  I guess I could get another desktop and add a parallel port though.  Thanks,  Ray
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:06 AM »
Short of a Smooth Stepper, I would do that as well.
Good luck Ray

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 12:50:25 PM »
Ray,
Just echoing what Russ said. PP cards can realy suck these days. Like, you get a card and the signal quality may be bad, or you get a card and none of the drivers are any good, etc. I have two that i bought that went into the trash can where they belong! A quart of beer would have been a better investment.  :D

Now i am smart, I would only buy one if the seller will accept it back if it doesn't work. And none of that 40% restocking fee stuff either!
What more can i say,
RICH

Offline Ray

•  70 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »
Thanks Rich.  I have read mostly bad stuff about them.  Just might have to look more into Smooth Stepper for the future.  Appreciate the info.  Ray